Should I upgrade my Squier Affinity P bass, or buy a new bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PacerNation, Feb 9, 2014.

1. PacerNation

PacerNation

I have a Squier Affinity series P bass, and a Peavey 112 200 watt bass amp. It seems decent for it's money, but I feel that it lacks greatly in tone. I've only heard amazing things about the Classic Vibe Squiers, the main one being the Matt Freeman Signature Bass. Should I upgrade my Affinity bass, or should I buy one of the Classic Vibes? Also, if you have any other suggestions for an inexpensive, well-built bass that would go great for Punk Rock, please let me know. That'd be great!

2. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Media:
    The upgrade process is a great learning experience.
    Give it a try.

3. PacerNation

PacerNation

Thanks for the reply! What modifications do you think I should do to my bass to get a nice, punchy, Punk Rock sound? I've done no modifications to the bass. Any ideas on pickups, strings, or any other modifications?

4. low_boy

low_boy

Having done just this I will weight in here.

First keep in mind that any money you put in will do little to increase the resale value.

Next you must decide if the basic neck and body are worth upgrading. Is the neck straight and the fret work smooth? Is the body color and weight OK? If you are not happy with the bones of the bass it is probably not worth upgrading.

The primary items that will benefit this bass are electronics and tuners. The pickups/pots are easy to upgrade if you have basic soldering skills. While you are doing the pickup go ahead and spend the extra few bucks to get CTS pots.

Upgrading the Tuners is a bit more involved. If you go with Gotoh tuners they will basically retrofit right in the tuner holes already drilled but will require you to carefully align the keys and then drill one small hole per tuner on the rear of the headstock to fix the alignment of the tuner. The small screw holes for the original tuners will be visible.

I also put a Leo Quan bridge on mine but in retrospect although I like it I wouldn't have spent that additional money.

Good luck which ever direction you decide to go!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. suggs137

suggs137

The Matt freeman signature was my first P that I owned. Great bass. Best part of it is the neck. Purchased another freeman neck to put on my jazz. The only downside to the bass is that the body isn't as heavy as I would like it to be. Imo, Heavier basses have a slightly thicker tone.

7. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

+1. But if you decide that everything on this list passes muster, then a pickup upgrade is your best bet for tonal improvement. The stock pups in the CV series aren't going to be that much better than the stock pups in the Affinity. Spend less coin and get more improvement by upgrading the pickups. Seymour Duncan Basslines would be a good choice for hard rock styles including punk.

8. garp

garp

Some good advice above.

But before sinking money into a new bass or any upgrades, I might suggest that you also plug into a few different amplifiers, if only to verify that your tone concerns rest within the instrument itself. I don’t mean to knock the Peavey 112 (in fact, my first bass amp was a Peavey), but with its simplified EQ arrangement and just 40 watts, there’s a chance that you haven’t yet heard the full tonal range of which your Affinity P is capable.

9. dls119

dls119

I agree. Go look at a few different amps, and bring your bass! There's always the old adage, a great amp can make an okay guitar sound great, but a cheap amp makes a the nicest guitar sound like the cheap amp. I own two Squires and a standard Fender, and most of my upgrade attention over the past few months has been in the amplification department.

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Dump it, buy something better.

Modding is almost always a financial mistake and a fool's errand, but if you disregard this advice, at least have the sense to not do anything you can't put back.

11. Bill Whitehurst

Bill Whitehurst

+1 on the amp upgrade.
    I thought I maybe might want to change my Affinity,
    then I got a better amp.
    Turns out it's pretty amazing, once I could hear al it had to offer.