should i upgrade?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by edcars, Dec 27, 2013.

1. edcars

edcars

i have a chance to buy a mesa m-pulse 600 for cheap. my current amp is a gk 400rb with a sansamp pedal. i'm in a punk rock band, i actually like my gk head but i was wondering if the mpulse is worth upgrading to. i had a buster bass 10years ago and couldnt remember how it sounded.

any advice would greatly be appreciated. and if i do get the mpulse will i still need the sansamp to get that punk bass sound ala matt freeman?
  2. edcars

edcars

any advice?
  3. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

Going from a 280 Watt head to a 600 Watt head is a power upgrade that is made frequently by those who need more stage volume.

But I suspect nobody replied because you didn't mention the price you'd be getting it for (seems to be going between $700 and $1500 used), or what cabinet(s) you're running.

Here's a link to a thread that discusses the tone of the mpulse:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/mesa-m9-carbine-vs-mpulse-600-few-questions-682362/
  4. edcars

edcars

oh thanks for the reply swamp bass -i'm getting it for $390 in a pawn shop but i have to decide on it by dec 31 because they are running a 30% discount on everything. im reading up on the link you gave and i think im gonna get the mpulse. i gonna be running it with my 215 randall cab
  5. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

That's not exactly true. More speakers are going to give more volume. More wattage generally gives more headroom

Mesa and GK both make really nice stuff. I can't say whether you'd prefer one over the other, but I know I'd be happy with either one.
  6. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Also not entirely true. Combining both is ideal for a volume boost.
  7. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

that mesa isn't a noisy/grindy one, i think the voicing of the gk might be more appropriate in your setting
  8. edcars

edcars

yeah. thanks folks. i had band practice today, i recently upgraded the pickups on my pbass with some seymour duncan QP. first time using it and realized i already have the tone i really wanted. it's just me GASing something that i really dont need, just because there's a opportunity to buy something nice cheaper. so i decided to just use what i have right now and just buy some red wing iron ranger boots. hahaha
  9. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

that's cool, i've gotta do a pedal inventory next week at practice and i'm hoping i'll be pretty happy with what i have