1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Should I use a fretless for this?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Luke Boismier, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Luke Boismier

Luke Boismier

I'm trying to decide if I should get a fretless or defret one of my basses to add to the sound of my band. We're kind of an ambient, spacey, metal sort. Do you think it would fit? Let me know.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

That track isn't exactly my cup o' tea, but it is tight and well-played. That said, a few points:

1. Considering the line you are playing, I doubt that a fretless would sound much, if any, different. Actually, the frets may be giving you a bit more presence in that mix even though "fret noise" is not at all prevalent.

2. I would never, ever, ever, ever, recommend that a bass be de-fretted. If you want a fretless bass, buy a fretless bass. The primary reasons:

a) The side dots are now off-pitch. So you've doubled the number of decisions you'll need to make. First you identify the note you want to play by identifying the proper side dot. Then you need to realize that the proper pitch is not at that side dot, but some variable distance "up-string" of that side dot.

b) In normal playing position, I can't see the fingerboard of my basses. Thus, fretlines are completely useless to me. Perhaps the fretline extends to the side of the neck near the side dot. So, here we go; identify the general location with a side dot and then decide how far from the side dot you need to be.

c) Just get a fretless bass with side dots at proper pitch (not every "fret," just 3 5 7 9 12 15 17 19 21 (and 24 if you're gong there)). Over-thinking eliminated; playing maximized. Yeah, yeah, the whole " ear is the guide" argument. Got it. I generally play faster, melodic lines that require no thinking and ear use.