1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Should i use this tonpower my pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by newyorkiddo, Mar 26, 2014.

1. newyorkiddo

newyorkiddo I'm actually a cat. Supporting Member

http://m.ebay.com/itm/350927619074?nav=SEARCH I recently got a Nova delay and a Holy Grail reverb from a friend, but do not have power supplies. Delay is 12v and reverb is 9v. I was wondering if this would be a good alternative for a Voodoo, since I don't want to waste that much money to power two pedals. So what do you guys think?

2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Your Nova Delay needs 200 (or maybe) 300 mA at 12v to operate properly, so the Caline supply wouldn't be sufficient (the 12v on that supply only offers 100 mA of power). As far as the supply itself, you get what you pay for- all of the reviews I have read about that and the comparable Joyo power supplies suggest they are basically only power splitters with basic filtering and diode isolation as opposed to a true transformer isolated supply where each output has its own transformer and acts completely independently of the other sections. For some uses the Joyo/Caline might be an improvement over something like the 1Spot, but I personally wouldn't trust one with my expensive pedals...

3. newyorkiddo

Ah, thank you! Though, I'm not too interested in these pedals as is, I just want to fool around with them for a bit, then maybe dissect them. Do you know any other products similar to the voodoo?

4. sunbeast

There are a handful of isolated supplies around, but they are all fairly pricey. The Voodoo ISO-5 might be the smallest/cheapest I know of that could provide the 200mA at 12v for the Nova delay. There are also "power pumps" available for products like the 1spot that can give you 12 volts, but they are pretty pricey as well...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. newyorkiddo

Yeah, I was originally going to go with that ISO 5, but I didn't think it'd justify using it for two pedals

7. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

My Holy Grail (possibly an older version) used an unusual power connector that looks more like a 1/8" headphone connector than the Boss-style barrel/sleeve connector.

That said, the part-number-specific power supply was still available, weird connector and all, for not a lot via Amazon.

I get why guys with big pedalboards like to use integrated power supplies, but for just the occasional effect, it's hard to go wrong with the recommended wall-wart, IMO...

8. sunbeast

For just two pedals that you aren't sure about keeping I would agree that a couple cheap wall warts are probably your wisest bet. That power supply you linked to would almost be like adding two more pedals size wise just for power!