1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Should pet cats be allowed to roam without restrictions?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Oct 30, 2013.

1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

According to several studies cats are wreaking havoc on native wildlife.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/science/that-cuddly-kitty-of-yours-is-a-killer.html?_r=0

According to this article cats kill a median of 2.4 billion birds and 12.3 billion mammals a year, but it is feral cats that pose the biggest problem.
    Still should pet cats be allowed to roam the neighborhood freely? As far as I know all other types of pets are required to be contained or leashed. The infrastructure is already there to pick up strays and fine their owners. This would also cut back on the number of feral cat colonies and allow us to identify feral cats easier.
    Some time ago there was a thread that showed two knuckleheads drop kicking a cat. I found that disturbing and I am not proposing any type of inhumane treatment. Cats will act like cats and there is nothing we can do about that. It is the level of responsiblity should we expect from pet owners.
    So what to you think? If someone has a pet cat should they be required to contain it?

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Should slobake be allowed to doublepost?

3. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Trying to get a mental picture of my cat tied to a chain in the backyard.....

Nope, it won't come to me.....

4. slobake

:eek::eek::eek: Yikes, I wasn't quick enough.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MatticusMania

Others may disagree, but I dont mind cat owners letting their cats roam.

Ive always taken in stray cats. I have 2 indoor cats that were both found in peoples' yards. One is my gf's cat, that was found in here friends yard over a year ago. The other is mine and was found in a bush in my sisters yard. It is the offspring of a stray cat that nested up at her house. The older one is fixed. The little kitten is getting fixed in November (she just turned six months). We let them out of the house for an hour or two almost everyday. They dont roam far. They mostly stay in our backyard, sometimes wandering to the front.

We have another cat, kind of. He doesnt belong to us, but he likes to hang out at our house. We asked the neighbor, and apparently he belonged to another neighbor who moved away and left him behind. He's pretty friendly. We dont feed him (unless he comes around when my roommate is BBQing), but he seems healthy. I assume he's mostly eating birds, mice, lizards and insects. We're getting him fixed when the humane society has their free clinic next month.

Growing up we always had cats, most of them were strays that we took in or kittens being given away. My parents werent very responsible cat owners. The cats mostly stayed outdoors, especially in more recent years. Right now there is a cat that just decided he wanted to live there. He's clearly a descendent of a former cat they used to own. Some previous neighbors used to set up traps in their yards, catch random cats and call animal control. We lost a few cats that way. We also lost a few cats to the crazy raccoons that started crawling up out of the sewers.

7. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Well the squirrels seem to be pretty good at avoiding the clowder of cats that live in my neighbor's yard. Maybe they're just worthless as killers. I've seen them hang out with a possum that likes to eat their food with them.

8. slobake

I have a question. How would you feel if people started keeping free roaming pets that killed 2.4 billion cats per year?

9. Bloodhammer

It would be time to breed bigger cats.

10. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

I think leash laws should be the same for cats and dogs. When I was a kid, my parents let the cats go in and out as they pleased. We lost a few to poisoning and others just disappeared. The ones who survived often had high vet bills after they got into fights. None of them lived very long. These days, my indoors-only cats are quite healthy and low-maintenance. My parents too have decided that inside is the way to go.

11. MatticusMania

Id probably keep my cats indoors all the time. As it is, I dont like to leave them out at night as we have the occasional roaming coyotes.
    A bout 2 months ago we were awoken at 4am by our next door neighbors barking dogs. Outside of their fence were two massive white dogs, Im not sure what breed they were, but they were large, and vicious.

Are you concerned about the wild birds being killed?

12. slobake

:p

13. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

mine roams. I cannot keep that cat indoors, she's nuts. She's lovable and very well-liked in the family but as much as I try to keep her indoors, she absolutely refuses to stay in 24/7. She'll even go so far as to bolt out the door when you're not looking..

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

I don't like the idea of pet animals being able to roam free in neighborhoods. If you want to own an animal and let it roam freely outside of your home, move out to less populated areas.

-Mike

15. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

How do you "keep" a pet if it is free roaming? Other than just being it's owner of record?

16. Bloodhammer

I only eat free range cats.

17. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

As an animal lover, I would prefer to see more cats maintain an indoor only lifestyle for their safety and health if nothing else.

18. slobake

Yes I am. I see free roaming cats as an invasive species. I think the solution is to keep them indoors.
    I also admit to having a personal bias as well. My neighbor's cat almost killed my cockatiel. If it meant my bird or that cat I would have killed that cat in a hearbeat. If I have any small pets it is unsafe to have them in my backyard.
    The local cats also decided to use my back yard for their litter box. It must have been a territorial thing because every cat in the neighborhood started doing their business in my yard. It was really foul and drew a lot of flies. We finally solved that problem by putting wire mesh on top of our fence.
    It is ironic that my next door neoghboor who has three cats that were a big part of the problem just put a nasty note in front of her house about dogs pooping in her little garden.

19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Cats are the responsibility of their owner. That means they belong inside, not outside.

Exception: if you live in the country and don't mind having your cats eaten by passing carnivores...but that's kind of hard on the cat.

20. slobake

Good point, so people with free roaming cats are just the owner of record?

21. An Army Of Juan

An Army Of Juan

My cats are indoor only. Especially living in the City, the only reason I'd let my cats outdoors would be if they were Servals or Savannah cats and they simply needed the space. Even then, those two breeds can be leash-trained.