should we still go on?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by IncX, Mar 2, 2014.

1. IncX

IncX

i am at the point where i am seriously thinking about still going on with my originals band. we formed a few years back, but went on hiatus because our female singer decided to "get serious" with school and decided to cut-off all band activities.

just last year, we reunited and we started working really hard, enduring line-up changes - permanently losing one guitarist, and going through revolving drummers to the point where we do not put them in the "current member" pages and merch.

the main members always has been me (the BL), my cousin (guitar) and a female singer.

before we restarted the band, my cousin always has had doubts with the singer, because eventhough they are close friends, he felt that she left us high and dry when she decided to "be serious" with school a few years back. he also added with "i am not sure about her. you know, she is stubborn, ultra sensitive, does not practice and is not a versatile singer."

to which i said, "but she looks good onstage, plus she can write."

and well, let us say that the past few weeks have been hard, because not only are me and the singer having a disagreement, she also refused to accept my apology (over a really minor incident, that i wont bore you with unless you want me to) and hasnt been communicating with us for 2 weeks now.

the guitar player's morale is really low, and i have a hard time getting him to learn the new songs because, as he said "what's the use? this song isn't getting off unless the singer approves it, and with the way things are going, it seems like she does not want to sing, write melodies/lyrics or even talk to us." (oh, i forgot, the singer can only sing songs where she makes the melodies, otherwise, she won't be able to grasp the concept. she's sort of not very musically literate).

i am in a serious cross roads of perhaps setting the band on hiatus or well, even just disband it.

here's the thing, the feedback we usually get is that we are a decent band, except our singer sucks. those comments come from non musicians, and they do say it in the nicest way possible. i even posted a thread here once, asking for feedback about an overplaying drummer, and instead the comments i got were about the singer 'hitting a lot of clams.'

so here i am, wondering, if we indeed really suck. i trust most of you guys here to be really direct (and a little mean, lol just kidding):

https://soundcloud.com/paperview-band

and here's what we look like live (singing a cover in an anime fest):

should i disband my group? or are we on to something good, that we should just cool our heads for a bit, regroup then keep on doing what we do, despite the risk of the singer acting up again (which she will)?

i would also like to add, that the 3 of us are also friends with common interests, and we usually hang out after rehearsals

thanks in advance
  2. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

The crowd seemed to enjoy your cover at the anime fest, and I liked it enough to listen to the whole song. If I saw you at the comicon, I'd stop and listen. It did seem the singer was having trouble hearing herself, but did well I thought.

I also listened to the acoustic song on your sound cloud, which I thought sounded good.

It's really a matter of whether or not you all can work through your personnel issues. I'd say the music isn't an issue.
  3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I personally can't be in a band where folks just decide they need to just go off and leave the band hanging. Had that happen once after we rehearsed for 6 months straight and recorded a professional demo. Keyboardist decided he was gonna play in another band. Left us high and dry! Will never do it again. Funny thing is, BL calls me about 9 months later and says 'hey, xxxx is back and we're gonna start up again'! I told him 'not with me you're not'! They found a new bassist and gigged for about a 1-1/2 and dude did the same thing again!

Be careful and don't book gigs too far in advance. Keep your eyes open.

The song in the video is really good. PA sound was bad though. By the way, I was in a Filipino band for about 5 years. Really good musicians and singers. Was sad when it ended. https://vimeo.com/86838972
  4. skwee

skwee

I would say it looks like time to close down this particular partnership with the singer, and start afresh. Whether she will flake out again or not, you don't seem to trust her, and losing trust is a band killer.

While it might take some time, stick with your cousin, figure out the direction the two of you want to go, and then go find the personnel that will help you realize your artistic vision. Think of hiring personnel project by project, if that is feasible.

You may need to leave the name behind (even though it is a good band name). If on some level you'd like to still collaborate with your singer, maybe you could pay her to write some songs for you.

The band sounds pretty tight, but I feel you could find a lineup that would work.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

I like the sound of the band. One or both of your guitarists has a tendency to push ahead of the drummer's tempo, but otherwise you lock together well. The songs sound solid.

I don't love the singer, but I don't hate her either. If she was good to work with, I would say keep her. But it sounds like she is difficult, so you have some thinking to do.

I would cool down and think about it before disbanding. But the singer is not committed. I stayed in a gigging band while completing my PhD, so I know it can be done.
  7. IncX

IncX

thanks mapleglo. sadly, we lost the drummer (and the other guitarist) there, and the new drummers we have can never hack more than 5 songs. we wont be doing anime fests for awhile

-*-

DWBass: thanks for the feedback. i have heard really mean comments about us, and i take it all with a grain of salt and perhaps some armor and padding. so i guess, we arent as bad as i thought.

thanks for the advice. my problem now is getting the guitar player to trust the singer again.

that conversation you posted, was exactly what happened between me and the singer last year. the difference was i said, yes.

i couldnt watch the video, im really curious though, as i have also usually heard good stories about filipino musicians there in the US. i usually hear about them when i buy something off ebay and the seller tells me about his experiences with filipino musicians.

ironically, we're chinese, but culturally, we are as filipino as we can get.
  8. bassinplace

bassinplace

From what you're saying, it sounds like the bad greatly outweighs the good when it comes to your singer. She didn't sound great or terrible, she sounded okay. If you want to keep the band, I'd say roll up your sleeves and do the legwork to find another singer. Otherwise, if it were me, I'd just move on.
  9. IncX

IncX

i would also like to share that we could have gotten a lot of paying gigs ... but when the time comes to do the song list, the singer and i are always THIS close to having a big fight.

my side is: give them what they want - songs they know and love

her side is: i wanna play the songs i think are popular. (my idea of popular is, Katy Perry, her idea of popular is, Ed Sheeran. is ed sheeran popular there?)

and we managed to settle that argument by - you guessed it - playing original material. and not getting paid, while playing 5 song set lists. i'm sort of used to it, it just sucks knowing that we could have gotten better gigs.
  10. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

I was in general agreement with others who said the singer was neither bad nor good. But if she's costing you paying gigs, you should absolutely replace her.

It also appears from your last post that she thinks she's in charge of the band, which would likely result in poverty and total obscurity. I say replace her and don't look back.
  11. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

NO. Based on the above statement alone - I wouldn't waste my time with her. PS: I didn't watch/listen to the links posted.
  12. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke Supporting Member

I wouldn't put up with it. Her behavior is petty and immature, but additionally she is putting in very little effort. If all you can get in is a 5 song set and she still has to read lyrics off a music stand it is obvious she hasn't done her homework. You're little more than a live karaoke machine for her, and you guys obviously have more talent and have put in more work than that.
  13. sparkyfender2

sparkyfender2

I like you guys.

I have no idea if what you are selling is a viable commodity in the Philippines.

I would try to compromise to a point, if possible, with your singer, but it sounds as if you are totally unhappy, so.......... Maybe you should find another vocalist.

Good luck!
  14. randyripoff

randyripoff

She doesn't sing very well.

She's difficult and argumentative.

While I can respect leaving the band to finish school, she has left you in the lurch before.

She's cost you gigs.

She doesn't practice.

She's attractive, but so are a lot of girls out there. She doesn't seem to add anything special as a front person.

Seems to me that you're just getting headaches from her.
  15. Shanebo

Shanebo

I like your band's sounds and general musical vibe.

A couple of observations though, regarding the singer...

In a live situation, she doesn't look at anyone in the eye--kind of in her own little world. The holding of the mic in that way seems a little pretentious as well.

As a front person, she's not doing you any favors right now, IMO.

That said, I'd start auditioning for a new lead singer if you want the vibe to change.

As it is, she's in charge right now...

All the best,

Shane
  16. IncX

IncX

thanks for the opinions guys, all of you suggest that we forge on with a different singer. if we do though, i think we would be losing our songs too, since she wrote all of the lyrics and melody lines of our originals (there's currently 7, although we only have 4 good enough for sound cloud upload).

i also forgot to mention, that a few years back, we tried to replace her, but was never successful. but i guess that was also before we were known as hard-working guys who could write songs. so its possible me and my cousin would have better options now.

our current drummer is another story lol for one, he is a possible cause of hearing damage... the only difference is, at least he is not giving us too much drama. and oh, his practice habits are worse than the singer. at least with the singer, we could play up to 20 songs. our current drummer? 6 songs. and he learned them all of those 6 songs during band rehearsal, not at home like the rest of us.

when i got him, i understood the things that came with him, so i am not as bothered. to be honest, i only see him as a temporary drummer to get us through those 3-5 song originals gig. unfortunately, the well is currently dry, and we are still forced to have him play drums. he is easy to get along though... so perhaps in 1 year, we could build a set of 15 songs? lol i know it sucks... but our place here is really small, and somehow i think i might have already met every candidate - both singers and drummers.

again, thanks for the opinion guys, and it also made me smile knowing that most of you who checked out the thread like our music. to be honest, i do not hear that feed back in real life, or even online in our facebook page. this thread has more positive comments about our music than our facebook page.
  17. Qlanq

Qlanq

Her voice seems more suited to the acoustic track to my ears. The rock songs not so much. She looked cool before she started singing, when she sang there was zero stage presence, from what I see. Good band, good songs. Hang in there and try to get a singer you can get along with. Best of luck.
  18. Qlanq

Qlanq

Just checked out your FB page and in the videos there she seems a lot better on the larger stage. And maybe she could hear herself better too. Overall I'd say that the band sound very good, I can't see any difficulty in attracting musicians to play with you IMHO.