SHOULDER EXCERCIES

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ChessTiger, Dec 6, 2012.

1. ChessTiger

ChessTiger

Greeting fellow bass men\women,
    As we all know playing the bass and guitars in general requres a lot of shoulder work. What excercies do you use to keep your shoulders streched and strong? :help:

2. MarthaSamira

MarthaSamira Banned

Light, well balanced bass and good strap...

Stretching and core training helps too... I actually would say that a strong, stabilized mid-section is more important than a strong shoulder.

3. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    +1 on this from an old man!!! Maybe some shoulder shrugs??

4. endorka

endorka

Shrugs will directly develop the trapezius muscles, which the bass strap lies on, so definitely those.

Developing the shoulder (deltoid) muscles will help too. Any sort of pressing movement will do this such as pushups, dips, bench press, overhead press.

Developing the upper back is also a good idea; chinups, pullups and rows will do this. These will usually also give the trapezius something of a workout.

Jennifer

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

Talk to a doctor and/or fitness instructor (or at least someone who can see what you are doing) before you leap into doing any new form of weight training. They can advise you on form, finding the correct weight, number of sets, and how often you should concentrate on these exercises. The worst thing is getting into a program with the best intentions and then injuring yourself.
    Personally, for shoulders, I do various types of military presses, shoulder raises, and shrugs.

7. logans59

logans59

I'm going to school for physical therapy so I can give some feedback here. I would say any rotator cuff strengthening with light resistance (2-5 pounds at about 30 reps). This would include internal/external rotation, scaption, flexion to 90 deg. All of those will help prevent your shoulder getting tight or frozen

8. endorka

endorka

Logan, is the l-Fly an exercise that would develop this?

9. endorka

endorka

I've written a blog on strength training, directed at what I found useful for bass playing. As Hotblack says, if in doubt, consult your doctor. It's pretty basic but effective stuff:

http://whatisbest.info/?p=353

Cheers!

Jennifer

10. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

I agree with this. I don't know about others, but when I play long gigs my back aches long before any shoulder pain. Even going back to my younger days. Again, not sure about others.

11. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

I'm young (23), but have already experienced some shoulder problems, I found stretching makes a huge difference. My physical therapist recommended placing my forearm against a doorway or wall, and leaning forward, almost the way a pitcher looks when throwing a baseball. Think shoulder leads your elbow, and this stretch helped me a lot. Another good one for me is stretching my lat (back) muscles. A basic Google search of stretching lats will give you some good stretches. This helps relieve my pain and keeps me going strong.

Edit: Foam roller or tennis ball does wonders for your back/shoulder area as well.

12. Kryptos

Kryptos

Daily swimming.

13. CJboogie

CJboogie

For me personally core body strength is essential.

I use a tennis ball to massage/loosen my forearms, and back/shoulder stretches..

A decent strap +1! I'm currently using a "vee strap" which is genius!

14. christle

christle Supporting Member

What is a vee strap? Never mind, found it. I use NeoStraps which help a lot.

15. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

+1 on the shoulder shrugs, I've started doing those recently and they really help. I do them at the gym...I usually just grab two 45-lb round weights from the Smith Machine to do them...

16. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Massage and shrugs are great. The important thing is to keep relaxed. Try this, some time:

Lie down on your back and get comfortable. Inhale through your nose while tensioning all of your muscles and then exhale through your mouth while letting all the tension go. Repeat until you feel completely relaxed. Stretch as though you were waking up. Did you inadvertently create tension? If so, start over. You can do this standing up, as well. It's also good for athletes.

17. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Gotta agree with comments on it being more about your core and back than shoulders.

Any (good) general fitness plan should have that more than covered for the sake of playing a bass.

18. pn02

pn02

i just started playing again after a long hiatus (>10 years). i play a right handed bass and my right shoulder started bothering me recently. the movements that bother me the most are side lateral, upright row and almost an reaching motion. could this be from playing??

19. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    If one needs to do shoulder exercises to support a bass, then that person IMO needs an entire exercise and muscle strengthening program. A bass is 10 lbs at best. It doesn't take much shoulder strength in itself to support that, even for a few hours straight. Get yeeself a gym membership! Or buy some dumbells.

20. carlos840

carlos840

+1

Although IMO if you have no experience whatsoever, you should just start doing situps, leg raises, pushups, chin ups and squats.

All those exercise will really help build your core and strengthen your body,and will make carrying your bass a lot easier.

A good strap helps to... Got a pair of wide leather Italia straps hat i have used for years and i love them.

21. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story Supporting Member

I do OHP, shrugs, and delt raises on my shoulder days. Other exercises that use shoulders as a secondary are pull ups, squats, tricep pushdown, and dead lift.