1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Shouldn't threads like this be against TB rules?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Joe Nerve, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
  2. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Gold Supporting Member

In light of some of the petty things TB is inclined to zap people for letting this thread run with nary a comment does seem a tad hypocritical.

3. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

No. From the start - it was just another "NBD" thread that happened to be a Chinese imitation of a Fender bass. The entire 1st page of comments are fine, it just went out of hand when a morals and ethics came into play about spending money on copies and counterfeit products are a no-no. Then again, some comments concerning those issues were addressed correctly, and the ones that seemed out of hand are most likely from people that just don't like/want to see others being ripped-off (aka. they are passionate about this subject but worded it in a way that might seem offensive). The entire thread (negatives included) is pretty tame compared to "the usual" from other forums, then again, it is on TB.

Just my $0.02. Cheers.

4. mooreon131

mooreon131

I feel like these threads should be allowed to exist. I believe that they provide valuable information. Say that some kid sees a "Stingray" on one of those sites, buys it, and ends up getting ripped off by some guy in China, either by getting a POS bass, or nothing at all. These sites don't act as an advertisement, rather, they are a source of information, from which individuals can draw their own conclusions. I've always been of the mindset that a more informed choice is a better choice, and if we provide this "buyer beware" information, people can decide to either risk getting ripped off (and break the law in the process), or steer clear of these sites. By restricting information, we are trying to make a choice for other people, which is not our role, or the role of the forum. Not only that, but we may be unintentionally pushing people toward a wrong decision due to ignorance.

On a personal note, I've always thought these threads were fun to read, so I would like them to stay for that reason.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rick4001s

rick4001s

I agree! There are too many members making false statements about Chinese guitar sellers ripping people off. I thought the argument was a little too one sided, Some claims have no truth to them at all, creating a self perpetuating rumor mill. Since I have bought from these sellers, I thought my comments would help other members make an informed decision if they decide to buy guitars from these people. My critique of the Chinese guitar sellers is definitely not a glowing one either. I believe people have the right to talk about this issue. Posters on all sides of the fence are exercising their right to freedom of speech. Let it please continue.

7. Joe Nerve

Disclosures:
    They're selling illegal products! A Chinese non Fender bass, sold as new with a Fender label on the headstock is a sale that is againt the law. Should we also post about where people can get good weed, and let people know where you can find other good drugs online? You know, keep everyone informed where you can get decent stuff from? I think peope can get their info elsewhere should they want it badly enough. Or should take the gamble if they want to go for it. Seems wrong for a forum that holds itself to the standards that this one does. I got a citation for posting a youtube video that had the "n" word in it, in a totally harmless sense.

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

+1

9. rick4001s

rick4001s

Let's just get this story straight. Selling of Rickenbacker copy guitars and basses in NOT illegal in Australia! I see retailers advertising Tokai Rockingbetters quite frequently both in Australia and Europe. You may have forgotten that this forum is open to the world and not just the USA. Yes 'weed' is illegal in most of the world. You won't catch me talking on this forum as to where you can buy that stuff.

10. Joe Nerve

Disclosures:
    uhh... if it said Rickenbacker on the headstock, I think it would be illegal. Did you read the OP and the link, or just post a knee jerk reaction?