1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Show Pics of your Picks! (or Plectra)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ggvicviper, Jan 16, 2013.

1. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Show what you use!

I have in my wallet right now D'Andrea Heavy 355 Triangles in Celluloid and Derlin, Heavy 351 Standards in Celluloid, and my Girlfriend's Hawaiian pick.

[​IMG]

2. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

3. CaballoViejo

CaballoViejo

That would require one helluva scratch plate!

4. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a Real Tomato Supporting Member

I've been using these little gems since last summer.
    [​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Timmah

Timmah

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1358387653.702636.jpg
    Clayton .80 triangle picks. Sorry for the crappy pic (punny, no?)

7. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Yeah - I dig in ... :D

[​IMG]

I've been using these since I can remember - .73 & .88

8. SquierJazz72

SquierJazz72

9. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

First, I'll say that I've been a fingerstyle player pretty much exclusively since I started playing bass almost 15 years ago. I used a pick once in a blue moon for one or two specific instances of needing the pick sound, but I just used whatever pick I could find in the bottom of a pocket, gig bag, or pick up off the floor. lol

Realizing that picks are a good tool to have in the sonic toolbox, I got a wild hair a while back and decided to got on a pick exploration. I went to Guitar Center and picked out a few varieties from what they had in stock, I hit up ebay for some weirder varieties like the felt, bone and rubber picks, I even got my hands on some more boutique picks like the V-picks, and even a Red Bear Medium Speed Bevel pick (not pictured) on loan from the guitarist at my church who got one at NAMM.

I've been meaning to post an actual shootout with information/ratings and audio clips of each, but haven't yet gotten around to sitting down and recording clips... :meh:

Out of all I tried, the Dunlop Big Stubby 1.0mm are my personal favorite. It's the ideal balance of amount of flex/grip/feel/speed/attack and the beveled edges give it a quickness that regular flat picks don't have.

My exploration hasn't converted me to being a pick player by any means, but now I have a much better understanding of different picks/sounds. I keep a few different kinds and weights in a mint tin on my pedalboard. :bassist:

5sg.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I use this more for guitar, but occasionally for bass as well:

[​IMG]

11. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

Those are the same picks I've been using for years - the .73's on guitars, and the .88's on bass.

I have a genuine Clapton pick, that he gave me (well, the security guys) just after he'd played a mean version of "Old Love". It's in a photo album somewhere in my shed, but I'll find it and post a pic.

It has E.C. on one side, and "Behind The Sun" on the other (the name of the tour). Of course it's not worth anything in a monetary sense (there's thousands of them around apparently), but it's pretty cool.

I was in the very front row, and after he'd finished playing the song, I yelled out and sort of gestured, "can I have a pick". He heard me, handed it to the security guy, who handed it to me. I yelled out "thank-you", and he gave me a nod (like "you're welcome"). My brother and a friend were there, and we've been telling that story for years - the famed "Clapton Pick"!

Yeah, so it's cheesy, but we're talking Clapton here! :bassist: