Show Us Basses You Would Never Sell! Bass Soulmates!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by faulknersj, Jan 7, 2014.

1. faulknersj

faulknersj Gold Supporting Member

I'm curious about bass 'soulmates'...the ones (or one) that you would never sell! Please include pictures and stories!

*i will update with pics and stories ASAP.

2. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

I have always wanted a MIA Fender jazz. I just never had the money. Then my local store was going out of business and I sold some other stuff and finally found it. Myself and any bassist that has ever touched my jazz agrees that the neck is just butter. Best playing bass I've ever seen or touched. Plus I love the aged oly white paint. It's understated and classic but when you look closely very pretty. I then made mods to make it perfect. I put many things on it including thumb test, strap locks, Levi leather strap, hipdhot dtuner, New knobs and a wireless system. It fits my needs and looks sexy doing it. I can't see a reason I will ever sell it, the sound and playability are perfect. The only thing not in the picture is the wireless.

3. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

I was scouring my local CL and got the idea to search on Warmoth. This bass turned up in an ad that was two weeks old. It was still available. Warmoth neck, MIM body, Rio Grande pickups. The price was impossibly low already, and the seller cut some off of that. I reasoned that if it was a bust, I could sell the good components and not lose a cent. I met him in the parking lot of a Wawa convenience store after dark in a bitter late-January cold, gave it a quick inspection and said 'Sold'. Never even learned his last name. When I got it home, it was clearly the best sounding and playing instrument I'd ever had.

I'm not saying it won't ever be sold, but I am saying I'd be a fool to sell it. I'd have to be nearly destitute to do it.
    [​IMG]

4. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

For me, it would have to be my Warwick Thumb NT6. Every since I heard Ryan Martinie from Mudvayne play his Thumb NT basses, I was completely mesmerized by the tone. I just couldn't get over it. I first got into Warwicks through a Corvette. Then I finally got a Thumb but it was a bolt-on. Still a killer instrument! However, in January of 2012, a fellow TBer was selling his NT in order to fund another purchase. I couldn't pass up the price and I drooled over it until I got it. When I finally got my hands on it, I knew I was home. The bass sounded great as stock but then I got the inkling to make some modifications, and I hit the jackpot with the modifications. My band leader at church is simply in love with the tone of this bass. Not to mention the versatility. With a flick of my coil tap switch I have the original tone and I also have my new tone. It's like having two basses in one!

There's only one other bass that may present some competition (but I seriously doubt it), but I still have yet to try it out, and that bass is a Ken Smith 6 Elite.

2004 Thumb NT6 specifications:
    -- Solid Bubinga body
    -- Ovangkol/Ekanga neck
    -- Black ebony fingerboard
    -- Delano SBC 6 HE/S Dual Coil passive pickups
    -- Aguilar OBP-3 preamp
    -- Series/Single Coil switch
    -- Active/passive switch
    -- Hipshot Ultralite tuners
    -- Warwick Red Label strings (my other choice of strings is D'Addario ProSteels)
    (This combination took my dream bass to a whole different level of versatility and sound)

Attached Files:

• NT1.jpg
      NT1.jpg
      File size:
      396.5 KB
      Views:
    • NT3.jpg
      NT3.jpg
      File size:
      418.2 KB
      Views:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

7. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Here's a story I can never resist telling again. (and again…ad nauseam)

Obligatory boring exposition: I am a former drummer who hopes to get back into "bangin' them drums" someday. I suppose it should come as no surprise to anyone that playing bass would eventually become the next musical challenge I'd take up. Y'see, back in my high school days, the friend whom I was learning alongside was a nascent bassist AND introduced me to Rush. The latter opened my eyes to a whole new level of musicianship and to the concept that the gee-tar isn't the only instrument that can move to the forefront.

Fast forward to two-and-a-half years ago: For years the urge to take up bass had been growing stronger and stronger. I found myself starting to do some tentative research and evaluating different basses, mostly by their esthetic appeal (I'm also a former art student). Cost was also a concern. I'd tried learning six-string when I was in grade school and it never caught on, so I didn't want to pick up an expensive hobby that I could possibly lose interest in.

Eventually, I stumbled upon this lovely creature, a Squier Standard P-Bass Special…

[​IMG]

…and I said to myself, "If I'm gonna learn bass, I want to learn it on that one!"

So my mind was made up…I'd seek this one out. This turned out to be a greater challenge than I could've imagined. Little did I know that this P-Bass Special, along with the Standard Line, had been discontinued three years before. Everywhere I found a listing for it online turned out to be using an old or incorrect pic. I even called Fender and they told me that the last of them had been shipped out in 2009…mega-bummer! :bawl:

Despite the ever-mounting frustration of this seemingly fruitless quest, I stumbled upon another lovely bass. My eye was caught by a used Fender Aerodyne for a fantastic price (less than half the going retail price!) on the website of a chain of pawn shops down in the Alabama/Georgia areas. After about half a day of debating, getting pics from the vendor and realizing that this was doable while the P-Bass Special was probably a pipe-dream, I grabbed it.

[​IMG]

Even though the Aerodyne I scored is a fantastic piece of work, chips and dings and all, I just couldn't let go of my quest. To get all literary and junk, "Ahab needed to find his white whale." So I kept on searching, devising new and different ways to try to locate one. After six months my tenacity finally paid off. :eek:

Behold…My Sexy Beast!

[​IMG]

It seems that by switching from a standard Google search to a Google Images search was the trick to finding it. That and a flawless refurbished item coming up for sale courtesy of eBay seller fretjoe. (If you see this, thanks a million dude!)

Getting this certainly hasn't kept G.A.S. away. I've since cycled through more than a few basses and have kept a few. I'm even putting together a parts-bass as I type this. But if I had to do away with them all save one, this is the one I'd keep. This humble Squier P-Bass Special is exactly that to me…special.

8. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    [​IMG]
    This one will be buried with me.

9. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I wonder how long before some of these basses show up in the TB classifieds, isn't it a TB rule that the moment you say "never sell" you see another bass you want more? Here's mine, I can safely say they qualify as I've had them both for over 25 years and even if I wanted to sell them they are so personalized that I doubt many would want...

Fretless '78 P, heavily modded, in the shop right now getting more mods...
    [​IMG]

Frankenbass, '78 neck with cello fingerboard, warmoth body, original '78 P pups and a bartolini MM on the bridge...
    [​IMG]

10. billiam5billion

billiam5billion

Here's my Warmoth 72 Swamp ash P build-
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

It was an amalgam of these two basses, kinda-
    My Squier VM TB,
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

And my MIM Jazz neck, from this guy-
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I wanted a split coil though, so I took that neck and slapped it on a P body and got my soulmate, and now it's pretty much all I play-
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Others my come and go, but this is my soulmate.

11. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

My sunburst 60th Anniversary Precision is my forever bass. It's interesting that there were so few of these Anniversary Ps made and two of them show up on the first page of this thread.

This bass just feels and sounds perfect to me. The Tele next to it isn't going anywhere either, it is to be left to the son of the gentleman I bought it from upon my death.

[​IMG]

12. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

My 88' Warwick NT 6 Thumb. Like the previous poster, I was surprised to see another Thumb 6 NT on the 1st page of this thread, as I thought they were quite rare. I'd bought a Thumb 5 BO, liked it so much decided to buy the 6 when I saw it on a classified. Drove 400 miles to get it. The bass has sentimental value as well because my dad drove me (to Lloydminster) 35 years ago to get a job at a TV station there. 10 months after he died, 35 years later, I found myself driving out there again. I didn't make the connection until I was on my way, and when I did, really felt his presence during the drive, and was able to have a good, long, heartfelt talk with him. This was special, as we didn't talk much while he was alive. The bass took a while to grow on me as it's very heavy at 12lbs. and doesn't have the growly J bass sound (or 5 thumb with EMGs growl for that matter) I like. It has passive Bartolinis (active electronics) and a more woody, organic sound, but I came to really appreciate the difference; really fits for the jazz I play occasionally now, and I really like how smoothly it plays. It had an issue connecting to the battery while it was unplugged and I was going through batteries like crazy, but I got that addressed and it seems to be ok now. It's hand made and was #21 the 1st year Warwick made 6es. The other fave is my RBV (on the right beside my ESP fretless) that gives me a great variety of tones including a more phat J bass than my 96' and a distinctive P bass tone. I have you good folks at TB to thank for that purchase (and help with the battery issue), as I was able to get some really good, valuable feedback on that one before I pulled the trigger and bought it.

Attached Files:

13. Marial

Marial Pooped Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My 2008 Fender Hwy One Jazz. It's definitely my soul mate. We'll see if the mods to my 2012 Squier VM Jazz fretless turn me into a polygamist.

14. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

We do our best, my friend, some times better than others. Everything can be sold, and there's an ass for every saddle, especially if the price is right, which is likely how I got mine in the first place. I've parted with MANY basses that I was crazy about, primarily because I don't want a house piled high with basses, something that could totally happen, in a short time.

I was careful to temper my bass soulmate enthusiasm with the disclaimer that I would be a fool to ever sell it. However, stranger things have happened. It is closing in on a longevity record for me, so I'll maintain my guarded optimism about hanging onto it. ;)

15. maverick49

maverick49 Gold Supporting Member

Have to echo Edward G. and never say never. And certainly have been a fool more than once selling basses "I'll never sell". That being said, I have two that I won't give up unless I am destitute:

#1 - My first Jazz - '84ish Fender American Jazz off the GC rack brand new in '85 for approx $250. These were the ones with the really thin necks and the one piece white pickguard. I have since modified it with different cosmetics and a BadAss II (and thus reducing any relic resale value). This bass was subtly setting my own standard for any future bass until #2 came along...

#2 - 2003 Fender CIJ Geddy Lee Jazz. I was hunting down Geddys years ago because I had read they had really thin necks and every new bass I kept buying didn't feel right or sound right to me (aside from #1). Local Ebay special deal with a SWR Workingman Combo for less $1000 at the time (both in excellent shape). Good to know my gut is right sometimes. The Geddy is really my baby and my go to bass. I think I will go play it right now!

Attached Files:

16. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    For me, they're tools. When I need a "better" or "different" tool for the job, I buy it and possibly retire the old one (sell, donate, trade, whatever). I don't really get super attached to one thinking I'll be "buried" with it. My needs and tonal preferences change, so I indulge myself and go with it. Presently, I love my EBMM stable (Bongo 6 HS, Bongo 5 HSp fretless, Sterling 5 HH), and can't see myself straying from them what so ever. I don't have pics of them right now, and the fretless isn't here... but once it is, you'll see a NBD thread where the entire EBMM family will be shown :)

17. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

Just go to the classifieds section. It is filled with pictures of basses in the category! Lol!

18. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    These two: '10 Spector Coda & '79 Spector NS-2

I've been through a LOT of basses in the last few years, but these two will be with me until the end...that being said, they wouldn't mind a friend or two ;)

Attached Files:

19. DogBone

DogBone

My Precision.

Many years ago when I was starting to get back into bass, I commented to my spouse about this really nice playing and sounding used Precision I kept going back to try out at the local music store I already frequented for my acoustic guitar needs.

About a week later I came home from work and she and my kids slipped by there and bought it for me. :cool::hyper::cool:

It's carried me through "getting back into bass", and continued to carry me through several bands, recordings, demos, auditions, and live shows and has NEVER let me down.

It has a tone that I fall in love with again every time I hear it, never fails to get compliments on the sound from bandmates and the audience, not to mention how often folks compliment on the color (Fender's [del]in[/del]famous Midnight Blue of the late '90s/early 2000s).

No, I won't be selling this bass, too much love in this one:

[​IMG]

20. jeffbonny

jeffbonny Gold Supporting Member

A 1983 '57 RI I bought new that's seen a lot of action and a lot of changes over the years. While much gear has come and gone this the only bass I've kept.

The latest config is with a pair of Armstrong lipstick tube jazz p.ups wired in series both always on with vol/tone. Sounds more like a Dano than a Fender. Works for me.

[​IMG]

21. Justice4trance

Justice4trance

Fender jaguar MIJ - wedding gift from the wife - there's a tone from it that I dig

Squire cv pbass MIC- 2nd wedding anniversary gift from the wife - I strung this with flats and get the tone that I want

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Allow me to add this too

Warwick triumph MIG(90's)

The owner sold it to me at a very cheap price. I told him I can't afford but he said' I saw that you really wanted an upright so bad'

I wanted to actually get a cheaper MIC one that he has. He set it up and found not working properly and refuse to sell.
    He sold this instead... Good man! I could have never afford this!!

I love the tone so much. I am not a fretless nor upright guy. So I pasted DIY stickers as fret markers and this one has seen a lot of love and playing since.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

After a roller coaster ride of buying and selling bass guitars, I have Decided to think very thoroughly before next purchase.

So my next, if all goes well, will only be in August this year earliest. I am saving up for a fodera monarch standard. Hopefully it will be a keeper too.