1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Show us your basses with dual Precision style pickups....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Muziekschuur, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

I've been fascinated by the dual Precision pickup basses for a while now... Realizing that the black top jazz actually has a lack of tone. It needs more wood...

So I am orientating myself on a Dual P. bass. I wonder what models and types of wiring are out there with this pickup configuration...

So please share your photo's and stories...
  2. remainthesame

remainthesame

im pretty sure theres already a thread on this. id have no idea where to find it though
  3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

!
  4. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

Nice Warwick!!
  5. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

I've allways liked this one:

[​IMG]
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Supporting Member

I think you are correct, but I couldn't find it either. So, I'll post my brand new custom Nordy PP5 here. It's an experimental pickup idea I've had for decades, and Nordstrand made it happen.

Controls: master volume, pickup pan, treble, middle, bass. The pan isn't what you think: it goes from the inner coils to the outer coils. The inner coils are in the Fender P-bass location and give a great P-bass tone. The outer coils give a nice reverse P-bass tone: more depth on the DG strings, more growl on the BEA. Despite the fact that they are 2" apart, they work well together... there's a difference in timbre, but not enough to notice in the mix. Interestingly, with pan at 50% and all four coils full on, the sound gets very modern/boutiquey rather than Fender-y, so I doubt I'll use that setting much. Intermediate tones sound better when pan is 30% or less either way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Two custom 6-stringers of mine, the brown one has DiMarzio P's and the purple one has custom P pickups by Michael Dolan under the soapbars.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

A while back I modified an SX P to "dual reverse fretless P-bass" format. Here's a pic of it:

[​IMG]

I never quite warmed up to the bridge pickup, though. I found I used the neck pickup 95% of the time anyway. I ultimately repurposed that bass into something else.
  9. makaspar

makaspar Supporting Member

That's what I'm working toward with my parts-precision, other than the fretless neck.. Hmmm..

All I need to do is route for the reversed neck pup, and make a pickguard. I agree on the bridge pup - with a fender style p, it has to be really close to the bridge, and ends up being more nasal than a 70s position jazz pup.

Where did you get your pickguard?
  10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

There ain't nuthin' wrong with the tone of my Blacktop Jazz! :spit:

Rather than re-tread the pics and story of how I got mine, and it's subsequent reviews and mods, it's just easier to link to it's own thread. And if you don't believe me, there's all the feedback at the Fender Blacktop Club as well.
  11. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

A guy here locally made it for me out of a piece of plexiglass. I painted the underside of it with black paint.
  12. PhR

PhR

Two Dimarzio DP122's in reversed positions and in custom made enlargened covers (inspired by Neil Murray's old Fender.) Two outputs and a switch for mono/stereo mode (in mono mode both outputs put out the same signal).
    [​IMG]