1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Show Us Your Rob Allen Basses Part III

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, May 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

2. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

3. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

You mean bypass the Paradriver only, or Paradriver and FEA comp ?

Andy

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

It has one. The last post in the thread links to this thread.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    Bypass the Paradriver. The FEA is always on. I can live without it, but frankly every bass I have sounds better with the FEA on.

7. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

I apologise ... I was looking at the bottom of page 50 ... I thought these megathreads didn't go beyond 50 so I missed page 51.

8. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

That's interesting. Tried a dual comp once (nothing as sophisticated as the FEA) and didn't get on with it so never tried one again. The FEA gear has attracted my attention once before though, so I'm now interested. Care to share more of the settings with us ? Just a photo of the FEA as you run it would be enough to give me an idea of the ratio, attack and release settings you find useful for each side.

Thanks, Andy

9. kai_ski

kai_ski

I think 1000 posts is the magic number.

10. nostatic

Disclosures:
    Roughly the typical settings. Attack and release fairly quick. What is nice is that I can tweak levels for low and high from the pedal. The general idea is to cross over around 150-200hz and hit that with about 3:1 or 4:1 ratio at about 75% of max threshold (only squishing the higher peaks). It tightens up the low end on the RA without really needing to eq.

[​IMG]

11. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Right. Looks like fairly subtle differences between the high and low side ... thanks for that.

The attractive thing about that comp for me (up until this conversation) was the indicator for when compression is happening ... I hadn't really thought of the dual band as much of a benefit so the FEA looked like overkill ... I may have to reconsider :)

12. FenderP

FenderP

Just to follow up on my B-15 comment from the last thread, I know it's a cliche that the B-15 is arguably the best amp ever made, but it really is a Swiss Army Knife. A P bass (which the S4 clearly gets its lineage from) sounds amazing through one, and I find that the B-15 has been a great companion to my D4 as well.

Another suggestion is a Polytone. At big band rehearsals I tend to take an old Polytone, and while it's solid state, it also does well with both a P bass and the D4. Polytones are old workhorses for upright players, so it stands to reason it'd work for the D4 as I've found it to be.

The B-15 really just adds just enough warmth and magic. The Polytone is a touch more "clinical".

And for the record, my B-15 is a B-15N. I haven't played the D4 through my B-18 yet as the head is being brought back up to spec, but I contend it would work as well.

I talked to Rob on Friday. He called me to talk about the neck for my new Deep 4 before he sent it off to be glossed. (Yes, I'm having it glossed a la the Solid 4 ... so shoot me! I prefer my necks like that.) He was checking because it's the biggest neck he can build, and probably bigger than either of my other two basses. He's made. So if you think Rob just uses a single template - you're wrong there! I'm guessing it'll be between my current (and soon to be sold) D4 and the Takamine TB10, giving it more of a hybrid P/upright experience.

13. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

They're all quite different.

[​IMG]

14. richnota

I'm intrigued by the Ibanez Ashula "hybrid". It has 4 fretted strings (E-G) and 2 fretless strings (D and G, same octave as the the fretted D and G.). The videos of the bass in action show a lot of creative potential.

Ibanez.com | Basses | SR2010ASC

Thinking that a hybrid 4/2 string MB2 would be cool. Probably not a lot of electronic complexity--I'd hope to have it run with a split bridge and two channels of piezo.

15. nostatic

Disclosures:
    arggh...stop that. I'm trying to stay at just a pair...I dont' need a fretted, I don't need a fretted...

16. FenderP

FenderP

Meh. The Ibanez is an OK idea.

He did something similar here Rob Allen Guitars | Custom Basses - see the 8 string fretted/fretless hybrid. It has two output jacks, and it gave me an idea what mine will look like with two jacks.

If I wanted both in one bass, I'd just get a dual necked RA.

17. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

You need a fretted.

18. richnota

now THAT is an interesting idea. The doubleneck RA MB2 works quite well. This one belongs to a talkbass member (i forgot his name for the second time)

[​IMG]

19. nostatic

Disclosures:
    lalalalalalalalalalalala
    i can't hear you
    lalalalalalalalalalalala

20. FenderP

FenderP

If I ever did a double neck, it would be half fretted Solid 4 and half Deep 4 with the bodies molded together. That would mean a thicker Solid 4 of course. It's an interesting concept, but I've got enough fretted and fretless basses already to last a lifetime and more.

21. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

I'm struggling to understand the rationale behind that one. I'd have expected a gross difference between the two necks like 4/5 string or fretted/fretless.

Is it the fingerboard/neck woods that make such a difference between necks, or the brand of strings ?

Andy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.