Show us your Status Buzzards (I and II)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by senmen, Dec 31, 2009.

1. senmen

senmen Supporting Member

Guys,
    I really would like to see as many Status Graphite Buzzard basses, both the I and II. Plse no Warwicks or Modulus.
    There are less than 50 B1 buildt....
    So show us your B1s and B2s
    I will start with my current B2:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This was my former B2, now owned by a close friend of mine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And this is my new one, my dream did come through:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Come on guys, show us your beasts.....
    Greetz
    Oliver
  2. pmaraziti

pmaraziti Gold Supporting Member

would love to show my status b-2 one day... because it'll mean I own one ! :D meantime, let me enjoy this show
  3. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Supporting Member

I feel like those would fit my right arm position so well, it would really be nice to try.
  4. PBass101

PBass101

That is just one fantastic bass. Love it! :bassist:

How is the action set up on that monster?

In a year or so I hope to have enough money to order a B-2, but hopefully someday I'll have a B-1. Don't have that kind of cash or connections yet, though.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mr M

Mr M

The original buzzard (B-1) is my dream bass too. I have a particular directory on my HD for all the pictures I could collect from internet. :D:D:D

Do you have any picture of it playing sitting? I'd like to see how do you manage the part that would be on your left knee.

BTW do you have any other picture of B-1? To see some more picture would be great. Thanks...
  7. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

First off I own a Warwick bass and I like it a lot. But as a Warwick owner I will go on record and say I think Hans Pee Pee Wilfer is a selfish jerk. All this BS between him and Rob Green / Status was totally unnecessary.

I offer this for thought:
    How many people can actually afford a Buzzard Bass (B1 style)? How much revenue compared to any of the potential manufactures total revenue does Buzzard sales actually represent? For Warwick I know it is not much at all but could have been more for Status becuase they are a smaller operation. The only people Hans Pee Pee's greed affects is the fans of the greatest bass player to ever live. If I could ever order a Buzzard I don't know whos I'd choose but now I have no choice to make except to buy it from Hans Pee Pee Wilfer wrong headstock and all.

Bottom line is it would have been nice to continue to choose what Buzzard you wanted and again I say it would not impact either company much at all.

Congrats Senman you have one of my dream basses.

And yes when it thunders I do think of John Entwistle, the greatest bass player to ever live. BTW...my five year old thinks thunder is John playing bass in heaven, pretty cool ehhh?
  8. pmaraziti

pmaraziti Gold Supporting Member

uhmmmm , let me feed your voyeurism.... just today I bumped into this, a youtube vid of what it looks a lucky owner of a B1 playing sitting....
  9. senmen

senmen Supporting Member

Guys,
    many many thanks for your nice comments.
    Well I was on the hunt for a Status B1 for a long time now.
    I did a very big mistake some years ago ordering my Alembic Dragon Wing "Tears for John" instead of ordering a B1. Because shortly thereafter Rob Green had to stop the production of the B1. You all know why. Well, you are right, you can´t compare the Status Bs with the other Bs. I also did own a W. Buzzard in 2003, a limited edition. But sold it shortly thereafter.
    Well nowadays it is really hard to find a Status B1 and you have to put on a whole bunch of $$$$$ on the table. But you have to keep in mind that only 44 Status B1 are in existance, and at least 7 of them are hanging at the walls of different Hard Rock Cafes. So these are really rare birds nowadays.
    The B2 are a real great alternative to a B1 as the sound is very equal to the B1, a bit more mellow due to the wooden body. But they have the same electronics than the big birds and you also can have a super low action as on the B1.
    When you measure out my basses at the last fret, E string, open, measured from upperside of the fret to underside of the open string, I have 0.8mms. Which is quite low and most of my friend (bass players and guitar players) are not able to play the bass without rattling.
    This is also like JE had his basses set up. He once said: I like to have my strings behind the frets....
    Here is a pic of my Alembic btw....
    [​IMG]
    Greets
    Oliver
  10. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

God I want a B1 so bad!
  11. scowboy

Me too!

Despite my rant above I'd still buy one from Warwick just so I could have my own. But I'd rather have a Status!
  12. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

13. humpy thumb

humpy thumb

Disclosures:
    Warwick bass forum moderator.
    Gee,you certainly dont let your emotions get in the way of an hysterical post,do ya.
    Protecting a design you can legally prove is yours,makes a man selfish?Yeah right mate.
    Hans Peter proved in court that he is responsible for about 120 of the 135 points in the Buzzard's design.I'm quoting these number from memory,so they arent spot on,but they're very close.Now I dont know what else you can do to prove ownership,other than to hold the design patants & prove it in court,at your own expense.
    You're entitled to your opinion,even if you're rather immature about how you express it.
  14. scowboy

Hans Peter he's our man if he can't prove it no one can! Plus the other guy is dead.

But fair enough. I still say in the end its not like they/he created the p-bass or something.

15. rushbytor2112

rushbytor2112

what is the graphite is that a wood ?? how it play??
  16. Mr M

Mr M

Thanks a lot for caring to reply and pointing that video.
  17. Mr M

Mr M

Do you know somewhere on the internet telling this story? Not because I don't believe you but I'd like to learn the whole story.
    Thanks.

BTW isn't it strange that Hans Peter didn't act, just watched HIS design COPIED by another luthier until JE passed away. Maybe he tried to sue Status while JE was alive and maybe I don't know the whole story.
  18. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

I found this.... says, 80 though, not 120, I'd like to hear more about this, too...

http://www.buzzardbass.com/Site/Estate/Estate.htm
  19. PBass101

PBass101

Hans Peter whatever didn't sue Status while John was alive because really, what bad publicity would it have been for one of the biggest bass guitar manufacturers to tell one of the greatest bass players alive that he couldn't take his signature bass (regardless of who designed the fine details) to the luthier of his choice?

The Status Buzzard was cheaper and - from what I've heard from anybody who's ever owned one - significantly better than the JE Warwick version. Judging from the many Warwicks I've played vs. the Status product I own I believe that 100%. Apparently Hans couldn't deal with that. He obviously didn't sue Status to stop the Buzzard production because he was losing money on the design. Status as a small business can't possibly make anywhere near the kind of money that Warwick does.

All things considered, only a real Warwick fanboy is going to defend Hans Peter Wilfer.

And remember folks - John Entwistle replaced ALL of the necks on his touring Warwick Buzzards with Modulus graphite necks. Yup, that's how much he loved the products that Warwick made for him. And does anybody here own John's bass book? I love the smashed Warwick Buzzard that he framed. Must have been an awesome bass. Can't seem to find a picture of a smashed Status Buzzard anywhere, though.
  20. humpy thumb

humpy thumb

Disclosures:
    Warwick bass forum moderator.
    As the link to Tim Harden's Buzzard Bass website states,the legal action was started by Chris Entwistle.Sorry I got the numbers wrong,but I did state not to quote me on those.There's a public record online that goes into much finer detail that I've read,but that was many computers ago & quite a while.I did a quick search,but couldnt find it.If I do find it,I'll be sure to post a link in here,but time's a factor for me right now,being a single dad of a 6 year old on school holidays,moderating another forum.So please,be patient.
    Warwick were happy to send bodies to Status so they could fit graphite necks after JE decided to go that way.JE & HPW were actually quite good friends on a personal level.It's unfortunate that the law has to get invovled,but sometimes,it's unavoidable.
    I'n not going to respond to rumour or get into a slanging match over a deceased person & someone I know to be completely honest,but I'm happy to talk about facts & bass.
    It doesnt matter what brand we prefer to play guys,we're all here for the same reason.For the love of bass.
  21. PBass101

PBass101

I've read other places that Chris originally sold the rights to the Buzzard as well as permission to use John's name to market basses to Warwick after John died, in order to help pay off the enormous debts John left behind. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Warwick also had the Stryker and marketed it as a design "John Entwistle made popular", and obviously it was just a copy of the Alembic Spyder basses. Warwick took the initiative to sue Status to stop usage of their bass design, but outright lifted an Alembic design with no credit to them.