1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Show your $400 and below bass gems!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ggvicviper, Sep 21, 2012.

1. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Despite loving more pricey gear, many of us love cheap gear. Let's face it - we love a good bargain and a great deal. Some on TB just don't understand why we love these instruments. So let's show those basses that you got a great deal on, rescued, or just plain love for under $400 - used or new! Tribute to the cheapies!

Here's my $190 ($215 with the shipping) love - my '87 Yamaha RBX-5. Aside from the oxidizing gold hardware, it's in nice condition. Beautiful transparent red over ash body. I took this to the beach with my girlfriend and her family a few weeks ago. Played through a Micro Cube Battery amp, and I got all sorts of compliments (both on my playing and on my sound).

[​IMG]
  2. msb

msb

I have a first re-issue Korean Dano Longhorn . It's become the bass I gig with the most . I still have a bunch of others that are mostly new or vintage name basses , but the Dano gets gigged the most . I just enjoy playing the cheap little thing .

[​IMG]

I got it new for $200. when they were blowing out the last of them .
  3. bronsonelliott

bronsonelliott

Fender Standard p-bass. $300

[​IMG]
  4. aproud1

aproud1 Hit that long lunar note, and let it float. Gold Supporting Member

Atk500- Put probably another $450 into it.

[​IMG]

SX J - Never should have gotten rid of. One of the best basses I've owned.

[​IMG]

This was a super cool Ibanez. More P than a P

[​IMG]

One of the best fretless basses I've owned. Guy I sold it to is now a friend.

[​IMG]

Another awesome Ibanez. My guitar player buddy has it now so I get to play from time to time.

[​IMG]
  5. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K.

[​IMG]
    $250.00
    [​IMG]
    $300.00
    [​IMG]
    $275.00
  6. ggvicviper

Awesome! Really like both the P and the Dano.

EDIT: Jetstar looks awesome too!
  7. JACink

JACink

What is this bass?

(And do the screws around the outside holde the body together?)
  8. digi

digi

I got my '89 lefty MIJ medium scale pbass for $200

[​IMG]
  9. msb

msb

Looks like a Hagstrom
  10. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Yup. Hagstrom Futurama.
  11. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

And here they are (again!)
    Squier VM P ($279 new):
    [​IMG]
    Squier VM J (($299 new):
    [​IMG]
    Both superb basses, worth every penny and a whole lot more.
  12. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Ibanez SRX3EXQM
    Used for $199

Attached Files:

13. Five String

Five String

Ibanez SR495 $290 with case. I put the pickguard on it to cover a divot a prior owner put there.

Squier VM Jazz fretless, $200 with case. This is an ebay picture before I put the cream pickguard on it so it looked different from everyone else's.

I think both basses are fantastic.

Attached Files:

14. nickrs540

nickrs540

Ibanez ATK 750

$380 Off CL

Beautiful Koa top with an amazing feel and sound to it. Plus With that 5 way switch I can get basically any tone I'll ever need. Now if only it was a 5er.......or even a 6........ This bass in a 6 string would be a dream.

5E65J75M33k73Jc3H5c8ac02a27e1ccf6157c.jpg

5G35M55J73E23Ie3H9c898740ff1ec22b1f64.jpg
  15. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz, new $299. Squier Classic Vibe 50's P I picked up "used" off of Craigslist (it was virtually new) - for 220 bucks ;)
    I bought the Jazz as a "backup" for my Carvin BB-75. I now find I play it most of all. At the time I wanted the CV 50's P, but it was more money. Then found this one on CL. I have the P set up with D'A Chromes flatwounds.

[​IMG]
  16. ggvicviper

I'm not a huge Ibanez guy (though I own one), but these are really cool. How much did you pay for that red Ibanez? What model is it?
  17. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

Subbed, cheap basses rule. I should get some pics of mine :p

--Silvie
  18. ggvicviper

Actually, since I mentioned my Ibanez, I should bring this to the table:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ibanez Destroyer Bass DT-650, from 1983. Though I rarely take it out, it's a real nice find for $250 - $275ish with tax.
  19. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

1980-ish Aria Pro II CSB-450

View attachment 291064

View attachment 291067

I've got a thing for medium scale basses and I couldn't resist this when it came up on eBay. Somebody must've received it as a gift and never picked it up, because it's in minty condition and came with original case candy and a made in USA strap (!) still sealed. A little high priced at $399, but it's basically brand new.
  20. Dluxe

Dluxe Supporting Member

A few years back I found a Bass Collection 5 string at a pawn shop for $99! I played it at a gig the next night and they are very underrated basses. Made In Japan with Gotoh tuners and bridge and active pickups. 19mm spacing at the bridge too.

[​IMG]