Show your basses with mojo!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Presto2112, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Presto2112

Presto2112

I love seeing basses with natural mojo marks. Relicing is cool I guess but real mojo gives the bass a personality and shows where it has been in a way. I'd love to see! Also, feel free to give a story, how long you have had it, where it's been etc
  2. capnjim

capnjim

I think this might qualify.....I do need to give it a good polishing as I am sure most of the damage will buff right out.
    I love natural relics and I can't believe all the fake belt sander specials out there.
    This is the way a Fender ages....including the chair leg coaster strap button.
    I bought this off of a guy who played it 5 night a week in the 70's. I'm in Montreal, Canada and I jokingly asked him if he ever played hockey with it. He got this pensive thoughtfull look and replied
    "Ya know, I think I might have several times!!"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. Presto2112

Presto2112

That is the most beautiful Precision bass I've ever seen!
  4. capnjim

capnjim

Thanks..its by far the nicest neck I have ever encountered. I actually play guitar more than bass, and own 10 nice guitars and am constantly buying and selling. But, I have never had the need or urge to own another bass.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Nice P..never clean it!
  7. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

My 1972 Jazz....with mojo

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

This here was close to mint I when I bought it in 1998. It was my only bass for about 12 years. Currently retired until I get it re-fretted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. capnjim

capnjim

Thats by far the coolest Ric ever! Not too many ricky relics.
  10. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    [​IMG]

Wow. That's a "textbook" vintage Precision. Spectacular!

B.A. bridge?
  11. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

Tanx!

As you can see, I've never been too concerned with its resale value. It is getting buried with me after all. ;)
  12. capnjim

capnjim

Of course! It goes with the extra J pup. Look closely at the bottom strap peg. It actually from the bottom of a chair.
    I was told the strap peg fell out one night and they improvised.
  13. Presto2112

Presto2112

Love the 72, looks like Geddy's authentic 72 but better! I never knew Rics could actually look good with mojo!
  14. Presto2112

Presto2112

In my opinion, cleaning a bass is like cleaning a gun with a wire brush or taking a buffing wheel to an old coin, it destroys the value
  15. Basshappi

Basshappi

Here is my '75 Precision,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Where is the mojo factor you ask?

This was my first lefthanded bass which I got in 1979. It was my only bass for a number of years until some scum broke into my apartment and stole it. About two years later I had moved to Tucson AZ and one day I walked into a local music store (Rainbow Guitars) and there it was hanging on the wall! Long story/short she's still the best bass I've ever played. Two years and two states away and back into my arms, if that ain't mojo then nothing is! :D
  16. bassbenj

bassbenj

You know, I've never been a fan of belt sander relics, but after seeing this I think I can understand it better. When one views a bass like this with true mojo, it just makes a person think:"I really want to own a bass like that". And since true mojo basses are rather rare, you may just have to settle for an immitation until the real thing comes along.

And yes, I really DO want to own a bass like that!
  17. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

Awesome.
  18. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Here's some Musicman mojo. All original, frequently played and rarely cleaned 1979 Stingray and 1980 HD150 amp. Not beat to hell, just rode hard and put away wet. She's a screamer!
    [​IMG]
  19. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a little ironic that the headstock shows a treble clef that is more nearly 3 times the size of the bass clef...
  20. FrednBass

FrednBass

Take it easy people, I can't handle that much awesomeness
  21. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

Love it!!

One thing I hate is used Rics always look like they have never been played!-More people buy ema nd put them under their beds than play em I think!