Show your favorite cheap modifications

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lowactnsatsfctn, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

A while back, I was given a Crate BX-200 Bass head because it was making a lot of noise. And because it was a Crate:D but thats for another thread. I opened it and found bad solder joints on the outputs. An easy fix, but still not a great design because the outside sleeve is too short to screw a nut onto to distribute the force it sees. IMG-20121218-00254 - Copy.jpg

The only Bass cab I have, only has Speakon plugs, and not being a fan of adapters, decided to ad a Speakon jack. IMG-20121218-00264.jpg

Im about 5$ in to this mod, but its probably my favorite of any cheap mods I've done.

2. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

Taking off the faceplate of just about every amp I buy is a $0 mod that I don't see a lot of people doing...

3. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Disclosures:
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    Aluminum shielding tape. About $3 a roll at Home Depot. Haven't ran out yet and I've probably used it on a dozen cheap guitars.

Not really something you can buy in stores, but learning the basics of a setup and soldering. I can't stress how valuable that is.

4. SquierJazz72

SquierJazz72

My mods don't always show, but I generally end up replacing the 500k mini pots on my Squier Affinities with full size 250k pots and .047 tone caps. And a roll of aluminum tape for shielding, especially the strat. And my strat got stainless block saddles in place of the stock ones. The Jazz bass will likely get a better bridge at some point.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

+1 to Shielding, Its an easy cheap and very useful mod.

+1 to soldering, its cheap, easy and can save you a lot of money in the long run

Not sure I would classify a set up as a modification, But I remember the first Bass I successfully setup. I couldn't imagine playing any thing less.

7. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

A control plate for my P! $10 for the materials to do it.

[​IMG]

8. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    No photo, but an all controls bypass switchs for my passive 4 string PJ. Highly recommend this.

9. mongo2

mongo2

Cheapest mod I've ever done is taking the string retainer off of the headstock.

10. J03YW

J03YW

What's all this talk about shielding things? I'm getting (and gutting) a Squier CV 60's Pbass and bringing it up to Entwistle standards (Dimarzio Pups, 500k pots, rotosounds, Series/parallel switch for ***** and giggles) and since I'm gonna crack er open, I want to know how beneficial this is/how to do it.

11. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks Supporting Member

1) I changed my cheap Ibby to BEAD tuning. Some filing and some setup work. Considering that every bass needs new strings once in a while, this modification costs $0.
    2) Extra screening, using aluminum tape and some copper wire. Costs: $5?
    3) Optimization of neck to pocket fitting. Some sanding, filing and filling with glue. Costs: a piece of sand paper and a few drops of glue.
    4) An extra screw to improve the mounting of the bridge to the body. Costs: 20 cents?

12. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

Its worth looking into if you haven't yet. Its more of an insurance mod IMO. I've never picked up a Bass and been like " wow! this thing is shielded well". Its more of an insurance thing, at some point, an unshielded Bass will introduce noise in your sound. I've come across a lot of Basses that buzz when you're not touching the strings or hum and pop when you move them.

13. vigor&kandor

vigor&kandor

I make control plates for all my basses. Why not have the electronics easily accessible?

14. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Shielding;
    Bridge and pickup covers;
    Hipshot string retainer;
    Swap pots from mini to full size;
    Tolexed pickguard;
    Stickers.

I've done a million cheap mods over the years. Shielding is by far the most beneficial.