Show your LADO basses !!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimfriar, Apr 6, 2007.

1. jimfriar

jimfriar

Man - I always wanted a Lado back in the 80's - when I couldn't afford one. Growing up in Ontario - they were what all us young musicians wanted. Lets see your pix ! Soon - I will have my own to add !!!!:hyper:
  2. Mar00ned

Mar00ned

I don't own a Lado bass, but man do they look incredible. I am also from Ontario. I think my bands drummers' dad works for Lado now. I could of swore I saw that Steve Harris Unicorn bass in his workshop. He used to work for Fender because I've seen his Fender Strat autographed by the guitarist of Iron Maiden.
  3. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    I always wanted a Lado bass and I used to hang out at the Lado shop on Birchmount Road (or Warden?) in Scarborough quite often when I was a kid. They were the ultimate metal basses when I was 14!!!

I ran into Joe Lado at his new manufacturing location almost 20 years later (Pickering, Ont) and looked at his new stuff and it wasn't the same. It seems like he is focusing on $2k+ 6 stringers and I didn't really like how the new stuff looked.
  4. felig

felig

I picked this up--well, the body with its set neck, a Hamer Blitz case, & some misc. hardware--on ebay a few years ago for just under $115. I don't know any of the history, but recall that Lado had some kind of student program & wonder if this was a student project or something. Anyway, I loaded it with EMGs, nice hardware, etc. & it turned out to be a great sounding & playing 34" scale 8 stringer. It's nothing like any other Lado I have seen & hesitate to even call it a "Lado"--but I like the damn thing.

[​IMG]
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DanielM

DanielM

I don't own a Lado bass, almost bought one a while back but didn't have the cash. here's some pics of my Lado Guitar I enherited from my brother.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it plays like butter.
  7. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass Supporting Member

I've played a few Lado's very briefy and they all seem to be really nice instruments.
  8. basmartin

basmartin

My recently bought Lado, I don´t know anything about it, but I think it´s a Lado Zebra Custom. If anyone has any info, please share.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. basmartin

basmartin

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Never saw one in person but I do recall seeing the Canadian band "Honeymoon Suite" using them in the 80s. I believe the bass was headless.

Riis
  11. basmartin

basmartin

I just can´t find any info about my bass. The previously two owners know nothing about it. I don´t even know the model name. My guess is Zebra Custom, but I havn´t had that verified. So if anyone knows something, please let me know. This bass is pure magic and I havn´t played a bass with that kind of sustain before. And it has built in overdrive that actually sounds good...
  12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Never heard of 'em.
  13. sixstringpoet

sixstringpoet

here is my lado

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

just had it modded with an audere pre, hipshot bridge, brass nut and the neck redone. pretty solid bass. am i finally in a club now? :bassist:
  14. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

I remember Honeymoon Suite. Nice band.

Adrian Davison used to play Lado basses (he even had a signature model released)
  15. Car Guy

Car Guy

Hey, I'm a newbie...I just posted my hello on the introduction thread. I have my one Lado Bass that I am told is a 1981. Here are some pics if I do this right.

Attached Files:

16. Car Guy

Car Guy

I found a couple of close-ups
    This is a Canadian Solo 4 by the way:

Attached Files:

17. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    The current bassist of Honeymoon Suite (Stan) almost always used an old Squire P (possibly J). He actually used the same old crappy (to me, but he thinks it is amazing) bass a few weeks ago at a gig he did with a friend of mine.
  18. basmartin

basmartin

More Lados!!
  19. Bass Boy

Bass Boy

Honeymoon Suite's guitar player lived down the street from me where I grew up in Ontario!

The music studio I worked at/taught at always had some Lado's in stock. I used to lust after them! I even remember making a leather wallet in shop class that I engraved the Lado logo ( I think it was a dove?) on.
  20. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Okay, it appears that every single Canadian citizen either knows, lives near, or has gone to school with at least one member of Honeymoon Suite. Let's throw some other names out and see who bites:

Gordon Lightfoot?

Anne Murray?

Triumph?

Burton Cummings?

Sorry for the derailment but this should be fun!

Riis
  21. Bass Boy

Bass Boy

Them and Glass Tiger!