1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Show your non-velcro using pedal boards

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by andrew, Dec 31, 2012.

1. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Regenerate Guitar Works
    I'm interested in seeing how anyone who doesn't use velcro attaches their pedals to their pedal boards.

Pros/cons to not using velcro?
  2. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

What's wrong with velcro? I've seen people use little metal tabs they screw the the backplate screws through on side of the tab and screw the other side to the board. Seems like a pretty good method but wouldn't be very convenient for rearranging stuff.
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

The only time I didn't use velcro was when I was hanging pedals vertically on my pedalboard/rack combo, and I had to use zip ties:
    [​IMG]

Velcro is always preferable for me, though.
  4. Spectrum

Spectrum

I drilled multiple holes in my cheapo board and use insulated wire to tie the pedals down. Makes them easy to move if I need, but I may switch to zip ties to hold them down tighter.
  5. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

is Dual-Lock still velcro?
  6. Bryan R. Tyler

Not technically, but it's basically the same thing/concept. That stuff's crazy strong.
  7. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Dual-Lock is crazy-strong, but I think it's easier to pull apart than standard velcro. plus it's not as wobbly as velcro.

Nice rig Bryan.
  8. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

One bad thing about bolted down pedals is if you have small board with lots of pedals that are real close together & you have a problem at a gig .... your frakked .... I've been there done that ... never again.

You've got to be able to move the pedals if you gig a lot ...IMHO
  9. ccouch7

ccouch7

Here's a few shots of my old board using bike chain links to bolt everything down including the power supply and D.I.
    I never liked using velcro and my signal chain was fairly figured out ahead of time.
    IME mounting pedals with the bike chain links is inexpensive and rock solid (I could pick up the whole board by one pedal if I wanted).
    I like the solid feel under my foot and honestly removing a pedal from the board is no harder than removing the bottom plate from a pedal.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a few shots of my new board, everything on the bottom tier including the power supply and D.I. are bolted down
    with bike chain links.
    All five of the MXR pedals on the top tier are sitting in milled pockets and are bolted directly into
    the bottom of the pedals with longer bolts.
    Bolting down pedals may not be for everyone but I like it.:)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple of old shots of the bottom of pedals with links, these are the chrome ones I used at first. Later my nephew
    gave me some pieces of blue and purple BMX chain shown in the pics above.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. tastychoice

tastychoice

I used bungee cord for my first two builds as I was afraid to put Velcro on some of my pricey boxes. It worked well, I was able to keep things close together, just needed to stretch the bungee a little to plug in expression pedals. I've since put Velcro down on everything except my eh hog, the weight makes me nervous.
  11. superjesus

superjesus Supporting Member

I've used zip ties on small boards.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I wish more pedal designers would design their pedals to be velcro'ed easily without defacing the pedal. Always annoys the heck out of me. Boss pedals are the worst for that. I still velcro them, though. My experiments with alternative methods such as elastic and zip ties were not good nor as convenient as I needed. Don't like tearing up the fancy schmancy labels on the bottom of my Boss pedals but it's the only thing that works the way I need it to work.
  13. Bryan R. Tyler

You can buy a PedaLock for one. It's a plastic casing that fits around a Boss pedal with a flat back- I have one for my OC-2. Looks like they're up to $11 now (I think mine was a few bucks cheaper):
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pedalock-BO...466?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item20cbf253ba
  14. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Regenerate Guitar Works
    Can you get pedalock for brands besides Boss?
  15. Bryan R. Tyler

As far as I can see on their website, they only have ones for Boss compact pedals.
  16. Biggbass

Biggbass

I use gaffer tape under a couple of my pedals, works okay, not as good as velcro but
    good for a gig or two.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's nifty. If I ever get another Boss pedal, might consider it. But I already velcro'ed up my two Boss pedals ;)
  18. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

All the pedals on my board are situated in a big box. No Velcro or really anything to hold them down besides the inside is soft foam so it forms a soft seal around every pedal. Also he Wah the are so close to each other they are basically all interlinked.
  19. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

I like this. What a great idea.