Shure GLXD16 Wireless - Hands on experience anyone?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by GretschBassist, Mar 3, 2014.

1. GretschBassist

GretschBassist Supporting Member

Hello there.

Today I've thrown my Line6 Relay G30 into the trash can and barely ever has something felt so relieving all at once.

I was okay with the sound, really not bad but the build quality was a nightmare. I'm sure everyone owning one knows what I am talking about...

However, I came across the Shure GLXD16 which is completely new to me but it looks awesome as it appears to be ROCK SOLID, have great audio quality and it's got a bloody tuner built in! It even finds the channels automatically!

Please tell me some of you guys have it and love it and it never fails?
  2. GretschBassist

Oh, I forgot to mention the battery is recharhable via USB and the cover has a LOCK. I may be in love already.
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

It looks made of plastic, so same problem as your G30.

I'd recommend the G50 - it's made of metal and works great.
  4. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

Thing here is you're not really presenting information based on any facts... So the recommendation is a bit moot and the post a bit troll-ish. The GLXD transmitter and pedal receiver are both metal. (plus the OP wasn't asking for alternative suggestions)

And to answer your question: I have had extensive experience with it and know others who have. Never heard a single bad complaint.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GretschBassist

Nice. I just wanted to hear it actually sounds good. Can you compare it to the Line6 units? Those transmitted too many heights, not an awful lot, but definitely audible. Adding the cable sim wasn't better, just cut too many highs out again...

Also, when you engage tuner/mute mode on the Shure pedal, does it make any sound through the amp/pa?

Is the battery life really up to 16(!) hours?
  7. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

You can choose if you want the tuner to mute your signal or not. So it's up to you.

I can't compare to the Line6 units but have bandmates who have owned both with their guitars. Everybody seems to prefer the Shure.

The GLXD, to be fair, is the only wireless unit I've ever owned for bass, but the sound is great, the functionality of the tuner pedal is awesome, the battery display to let you know how long your transmitter has left is awesome too!

And yes, it does really last up to 16 hours. I've done 4 4hour gigs on 1 full charge before. (I turn it off during set breaks)
    Now on average I do 3 4hour gigs and charge, just to be safe.
  8. GretschBassist

Yes, I've noticed, That's indeed great to be able to choose the one over the other. I'd sure be going for the mute mode. Sound, features and battery life + ease of recharge via USB along with your help actually just sold me this unit. Thanks a ton, I cannot wait to try it! :)
  9. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

Looks great!
    Rechargeable battery included, and it safes the space of both a receiver and tuner on the pedalboard!
    Please tell me the tuner works fine with a low B?
  10. Tiger789

Tiger789

11. GretschBassist

Oh that's a good one. Thanks!
  12. Tiger789

Tiger789

You're welcome :D

This is some photos from my photoalbum to show how the GLXD16 looks like on my pedalboard. Click for large view. On these photos, my old G30 is still not removed but will be replaced with something else later.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  13. GretschBassist

Dude, you've been more helpful than three evenings of web search. You're a star!