Shure SE215 IEMs.. a few questions for those who use them..

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Sav'nBass, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I know there are several posts about these.. but I have a few questions for those who have had them for a while.

1-How long have you used them?

2-How do they hold up over time? Do they still sound as good as they did when you first got them.

3-How often do you use them? Once a week, several times a week? Daily?

4-How do they handle the low B on a 5? Is it clean? Does it fart at all if your volume is at a reasonable level?

5-How does the cable hold up over time when exposed to sweat and body oils etc?

5-If yours were lost or stolen today wold you get another pair or would you get something else... and if so what would that be?

We are on Avioms and I have been using headphones. I really like my ATHM50s .. but I feel kind of silly standing up there with these red headphones on so I am considering getting a set. I have read several reviews and I am trying to make up my mind. I am looking at the 215s and the 315s but I see the low end response is the same.. the 315s just offer a bit more in the upper registers.. The 215s fit my budget more.. So what say you all?

2. Sav'nBass

So no one has any answers to my specific questions?

3. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

go with SE425's....sounds much better...

4. Calebmundy

Calebmundy

I've used my SE215s for 2/3 years now all over the place and all kinds of stages. They've held up, but I'm not sure if the sound has degraded, or if they were ever that good! Ha! I've made it through though. I did have some silicone molds made that fit over the buds, so I am using sort of an SE125/molded ear hybrid.

I know the low end is not all it could be-I had to share a mix with a drummer on some of those gigs who had triple-driver ears, and we had vastly different mix needs, even beyond the usual bass/drums differences.

I had some nicer molded ears that were partially broken, and then stolen, so I had to pickup something cheap, and decided I wouldn't buy anything nicer unless I got some artist pricing.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

My take:

1-How long have you used them? 2+ years

2-How do they hold up over time? Do they still sound as good as they did when you first got them. They are my workhorses. Held up extremely well, still sound great!

3-How often do you use them? Once a week, several times a week? Daily? My band plays twice a week, minimum, and I sometimes use them with my ipod, but not often.

4-How do they handle the low B on a 5? Is it clean? Does it fart at all if your volume is at a reasonable level? I play both 5 string basses and synth bass. It handles the bass guitar just fine, but if I go too low on the synth, it seems to drop out. I'm guessing it's below the frequency range of the Shures. No farting or distortion that I can speak of, or I wouldn't still be using them.

5-How does the cable hold up over time when exposed to sweat and body oils etc? I'm still using the original cable that came with mine, although I have a couple extras just in case it ever fails. It's slowly turning green, I think on the inside. Beyond that, it's still going strong.

5-If yours were lost or stolen today wold you get another pair or would you get something else... and if so what would that be? I tired replacing them last year with a set of Ultimate Ears UE900's. Those broke shortly after I started using them, and I went through a whole ordeal getting them custom molded. I had to move back to the Shures, and I'm glad I did. I am not a fan of multiple drivers for live monitoring. The best sounding IEM's, to me, have all been single driver models. The first set of UE900's I had (which were eventually replaced with a a brand new pair...long story) distorted on the low end, which I hate. The new set doesn't, so it may have been a defect from the factory. Either way, the Shures, while not a hi-fi sounding IEM, sound great live, IMO. If I were to replace them, if stolen, I might look at Westones or 1964Ears. Heard great things about both companies and their products. In a pinch, I would buy the 215's again with no hesitation.

Almost forgot, I used my friends set of either 315's or 425's for a gig or two, and wasn't at all blown away. Sounded almost identical to my 215's.

7. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

A little impatient, aren't we?

Anyway, I bought a pair of the Shure SE215 headphones a couple of years ago. They are moderately priced IEMs that just get the job done. I hope to get to an audiologist soon so that I can have some custom inserts made that will be more comfortable and provide better sound isolation.

I don't use them on a regular basis, perhaps a couple of times a month in church and then in those venues that insist on IEMs to reduce stage volume. Mine seems to handle my low B string just fine. Yes, you can overdrive them if you turn it up too loud. I tend to roll off the bass EQ, or at least leave it flat, so that I can hear the notes clearly without making the headphone fart out.

Some venues that insist on IEMs have some pretty skanky head sets. That's why I bought my own.

I do play one club that uses the higher end Shure IEMs (SE425 and SE535) and while you can hear a difference, I can't justify all that money for something I use only occasionally. The SE215 is a "bang for your buck" solution that works well enough for me.

I've heard from reliable sources that the black models are a little more robust than the white/clear models, less chance of cable problems and breakage.

But overall I'm happy with my SE215 headphones.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

8. Sav'nBass

NicJim thanks .. That js exactly what I was looking for... Cliff.... LOL .... Yeah I guess you're right.. I didn 't realize it was so late when I made the post and peoe do have to sleep.... I had just gotten in from work ... From the morning.. Long day.... Long week.. Thanks for responding...

9. Sav'nBass

I pulled the trigger on these last week.. got a set for $80 from GC. I used them last Sunday. So far I like them. I have to get user to them though as I am still trying to find the best way to wear them.

10. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman

We use them in the band for singer and guitarist. Singer purchased 1964 ears for the pack and she's n 7th heaven

11. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

I've always worn mine with the cable arching over my ear, like glasses, with it going down the back of the inside of my shirt to my wireless pack, which is on my belt.

12. Zephrant

Zephrant

Follow up question if I may, what are you plugging them in to?

13. Calebmundy

Calebmundy

I am plugging them into whatever I get handed. Shure packs of a couple of different types, or sometimes an aviom system. I so have a couple of gigs where I wish I had my own pack.

14. Atlanta Dave

Atlanta Dave Supporting Member

I use a Wi digital wireless JM WAL35 system ($189) to get the sound from my Rolls PM351 to my ears and back. I have had good luck with Shure 215 and Ultimate Ears phones. I also wrap them over my ears and drop the cord down my back with a little plastic name badge clip to my shirt collar. Relatively painless system, price wise.