1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Shuttle 9.0 EQ for the Genz Experts

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Red Planet, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    OEM Manufacturing Supplier
    Hi All,

I recently acquired a foot-switch for the 9.0 and was wondering if it possible to boost the mid EQ at 600 Hz and get a flat response with the mid cut engaged?

Thus allowing a mid boost from flat when disengaged.
    Does that make any sense?

The manual says the mid scoop is at 600 Hz so.......

I have no use for a mid scoop but a foot switchable mid boost might be what the Doctor ordered.

2. Jeff Genzler

Jeff Genzler

Well I can honestly say I had never thought of that as we were developing the amp and considering the functions of the Signal Shaping Circuits.

I do think you could probably get pretty close in your quest for a mid boost by using the Scoop in reverse.

It will come down to how wide the Q is for the Mid Scoop filter and your desired Mid Boost tone.

There is a slight boost of the lows and highs when you engage the Mid Scoop so keep that in mind when you experiment.

Sounds interesting.....I'm going to try this out with my next jam with the guys at the Brew Club.:bassist:

Thanks for continuing to play GB.

Regards,

Jeff

3. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    Can you give me a suggestion as to where to start setting wise. I know 600 hz but how much boost?

4. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    Also where is 600 going to be on the dial? I see where it starts at 150 and goes to 2k.

I get (by the line) 150, 325, 520, 705, 890, 1075, 1260, 1445, 1630, 1815, 2000.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    And how much Gain is the Mid scoop cutting? In similar increments of the mid boost/cut knob.

7. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

Here's a post from a shuttlemax eq thread. Not quite the same but, as Jethro might say, it's purtnear.

8. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    That is pretty good. Who did the graphic?
    I would like to have a copy of one of those on hand that match the Shuttle 9.0.

9. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Yeah, those graphics are nice; and in particular, they are pretty useful because IME, the Mid setting are really important to make these heads do their thing.

The 9 is different from the 12 in that the mid is marked from 150 Hz to 2 kHz. Jeff would have to comment as to how different the two circuits actually are. I have both 9 and 12 and do set them nearly the same by ear for mids pretty close to 160 Hz to 180 Hz, and boosting a bit at that center.

As I said, that is critical for my sound. I also understand the need to kick something in for different voicings. I would probably tend to get an EQ pedal to do that vs losing the front end EQ. YMMV

10. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    Well not sure if this is a viable option for me or not though I normally play with the amp set flat. I would never play scooped though and the bass and treble boost I would never use on and off.

11. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Interesting, and I know you have been gigging the 9 for a good while. I definitely get way more mojo cranking the mids over into the 200-ish zone. Seems a bit extreme, but the amp really hangs there.

12. Jeff Genzler

Jeff Genzler

Hey Red Planet,
    Sorry I've been traveling. I'd recommend the Mid Freq control be set to approx. 10:30 - 11 o'clock like shown on the images.

I would need to test this but I'd estimate you could boost that frequency by setting the Mid Gain control to around 2 o'clock.
    I'd start here and experiment.

I'll see if I can check this out tomorrow.

Send me a PM if you'd like.

Jeff

13. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    Yes I have gigged the 9.0 for a number of years now (since they came out). I have owned the 12.0 and the Streamliner but the 9.0 just appears to be the tool for me. I love the Mid control on these it just works flat for me with my Stingray Classic an the HT1X12ER cabs I have. I keep my tweeter almost off and crank it. :D

14. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    Than you thank you thank you! Jeff you really do not know what it is for the rest of us to have you as a resource here. For the teenage girl it like having Elvis around to talk to. :eek::)

I'm going to give this a whirl and report back.

15. Jeff Genzler

Jeff Genzler

Hey Red Planet,
    I got a chance to try this out using a Shuttle 6.2 and NX2-112T (with a Am. Standard Jazz). EQ network and Global filters the same as the 9.0.

Used a mid frequency choice of just less than 11 o'clock on the Frequency control (like the images shown) and a boost at 2-3 o'clock on the mid gain control. Then I used the Mid Scoop (engaged) to achieve the flatter response.

I think this was a useful setting for a mid boost option.

I found it to provide a "burpy" mid tone -- certainly cuts through more---and an increase in gain came along with it, you can adjust that down with your Mid Gain control.

I personally would prefer a slightly lower frequency but it was good.

Hope your experiments are fruitful.

Jeff

16. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    Very cool thank you. I will give that a try. I have not had any time to work on this, been busy teaching parts to some guitar and keyboard players for Easter.

For me there is nothing that says solo boost better than a good goose of mids.

17. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    :eek:
    :D

+1