1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Shuttle Max 9.2 owners/users effects loop question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Tugboat, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat

Ok, so on the rear panel of the 9.2 there are three effects loops for Master/FET/Tube. All three say "receive" on the return input, but ONLY the Master also says "pre amp in". Does this mean I can ONLY use a pre amp through the Master effects return? I was hoping to be able to say, put a pre amp through the FET effect return so I could then switch to the tube channel and have a different sound. If I can only use the Master effect return for a pre amp then it kind of defeats the purpose. (I'm considering purchaseing another 9.2)

http://www.genzbenz.com/img/manuals/gb/STLMAX9.2_manual.pdf

2. Tugboat

Tugboat

This is what it says in the owner's manual:

EFFECTS LOOPS – The serial EFFECTS LOOP jacks are provided to allow access to the signal for the purpose of inserting signal processing equipment such as compressors, chorus, delay and reverb processors. Individual pre-EQ loops are provided for the TUBE channel and the FET channel. An additional MASTER post EQ loop is provided for the summed (TUBE + FET) signal. This loop may also be used as a PREAMP OUTPUT or POWER AMP INPUT patch point. SEND (output) and RETURN (input) are nominal +4 dB level.

Am I correct that it says that the FET/Tube channel effects return are both PRE amp eq?

3. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    According to the block diagram in the manual, the channel effects loops are just before the channel volume control, which is ahead of the EQ section.

What you're wanting to do is possible, but the EQ section of the FET channel will be active.

4. Tugboat

Tugboat

That's what I thought. FYI....I just bought a Monique, my thought process was to run the Monique through one channel, and then be able to just click to switch over to the other channel for a different sound. I guess I can still do that, I would just need to set the eq on the 9.2 flat, or however, for the Monique's channel.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Sorry, I missed this thread.

Good question, there are 3 effects loops on the Max 9.2 amps. If you look at the block diagram in the back of the owner's manual, the loops for the individual channels are located before the respective channel eq's but the master effects loop is located after the master tone shaping filters. The channel effects returns can be used as a signal insert point as you would like, they operate at about nominal line level (there are some differences between the tube and FET channel but that shouldn't impact what you are trying to do) or +4dBu give or take. You can use the eq on the insert channel or you can leave it flat, whatever works for you.

It all depends on your particular needs, you might find that you like the additional eq.

Hope this helps.

7. Tugboat

Tugboat

Ok...just so I'm clear....the Master effects return comes in after the three master tone shaping filters....but I still have to have either the FET, Tube channel, or both engaged, so there is no way to use the 9.2 aa strictly a power amp? Or am I wrong on that? Sorry, I'm electronically incorrect!

8. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

The master effects loop is essentially the power amp input, the master volume control is the amp's input control. The 3DPM remains active.

9. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Using the Master FX Loop Return will basically just make the 9.2 a power amp- I have done this many times using my Rusty Box as my preamp and it sounds great. I have also used the Rusty into the Return on either channel FX loop and it still works great, though I prefer it without the additional EQ/gain-staging.