1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

ShuttleMAX 9.2 Vs Markbass Sd 1200

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by irbass, Aug 31, 2012.

1. irbass

irbass

I've been looking the difference about these 2 amp heads but, i didn't find anything about them together.

So, if you had a chance to try these 2 heads please let's us know about it. what head got the clear sound, What's the most hi fi head, what head get more loud without distortion, things like that we love to know.

Appreciate all inputs.

I tried a lot of MB heads and i liked, But I've never tried GB heads.

Markbass sd 1200 - around 1100w@4ohms - Solid State -Digital
    U$ 1099.99

Genz Benz ShuttleMAX 9.2 - 900w@4ohms 1 FET channel and 1 tube channel and it can be mixed
  2. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

I have considered both of these amps and have looked at them in depth. From what I have read the sd1200 is MUCH louder, but the 9.2 has better features including better eq options and two channels and a better DI. Also, better CS... can't beat genz for CS.

However, I really like the VLE on markbass amps and generally prefer the tone of markbass versus genz. So despite the better feature set of the genz I would likely choose the sd1200 of the two... though the CS of genz really does make it a hard decision.

BTW, in the end I chose neither of these and went with the gk mb800. Since its 1u I added a dual 15 band eq and now have lots of power, tone and eq options available.

[​IMG]
  3. Musicman20

Musicman20

Max 9.2! All the way.
  4. pbasswil

pbasswil

I think that sums it up nicely. I'll add:

I have the M.B. F500, which is basically a more compact and less powerful version of the SD1200. Of all the micro amps I've tried so far I like it the best. It just sounds right to me. The mids are nice and punchy, and the highs and lows are just where I want them.

I like that the low mid control sweeps down as far as 100 hz -- this lets you bump up the "oomph" of a modern, "flat/hifi" cab such as a fEARful _without_ using the Bass/Low shelving knob (which adds too many sub frequencies).

I also have a G-B Shuttle 9.0, which is very neutral and flat sounding to me. If your cab is already voiced the way you like it then it it sounds more than fine. But for me, it's too flat sounding into my fEARful or Barefaced Midget.
    Also: it doesn't quite feel like the quoted 500 watts into 8 ohms; I'm not sure it's much louder than my MB LMIII.
    However, I don't know how similar the ShtlMAX 9.2 is, so take that with a grain of salt.
  5. Raggy

Raggy

SD1200. It absolutely floors the Genz.
  6. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

I've owned both and the SD1200 is without a doubt FURIOUSLY LOUD. It is capable of ear shattering volume and the volume comes on very, very early on the "Master Volume" knob. By the time you get to 9 o'clock to 10 o'clock on the master volume, it is really dishing out the volume. I don't believe it has a very "linear" pot to control the volume. I actually ended up selling it because I found it to be way too much. If you need face melting volume and you play in a band that plays LOUD all the time, this is your amp.

I still own the ShuttleMax 9.2. I find that the ShuttleMax 9.2 sounds incredible, is far more flexible with its 2 channel/EQ system, nearly as loud, and the overall quality and customer support to be far superior. The volume on the ShuttleMax is much easier for me to control and seems to be very linear. When you crank the master volume it continues to get louder and louder and louder.

Just my $.02.
  7. Musicman20

Musicman20

This is exactly my thoughts! The linear pot on the volume controls means you have more control and no doubt similar headroom but with a longer journey to get there whilst turning the knob.
  8. pbasswil

pbasswil

Even though I happen to prefer the basic voicing of the M.B., I sure agree that a more linear taper would be useful on the SD1200.
  9. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

The only thing missing from the SD1200 for me was a mute switch... a built in compressore would be on the wishlist too :)
  10. irbass

irbass

I've seen a lot reviews saying the MB work really nice with barefaced and fEARful cabs. But I've never played with Barefaced or fEARful cabs so far. So i can't be sure.
  11. pbasswil

pbasswil

I sure love the weight of this new wave of super cab. But these two, at least, are devoid of any low mid push.
    If you love the Ampeg sound but try a fEARful or Barefaced, you're going to want add back in a hump and probably some scoop.

The M.B. F series & Sd1200 have a bit of that old school voicing baked in -- like, halfway between Ampeg and G.B. IMHO, of course.
  12. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

This is worth at least a buck :bassist:
  13. 12bass

12bass

I hate to be THAT guy.... but... well... I AM that guy.... ;)

Tone comparisons aside, knob position means close to nothing as far as maximum output power is concerned. Just because amp A causes earthquakes at 3 does not mean that amp B will not be able to do the same at 7. Time and time again, I read about people who have some sort of weird fixation on not turning the volume knobs past some arbitrary point.

A better way to compare the output of two amps it to crank them both until they reach the point of clipping the power amp. A lot of manufacturers use volume tapers with a huge level increase in the first 1/3 of rotation which give the impression of huge power. But that makes for a misleading comparison with another amp which has a more sensible taper. For more reasonable comparison, just crank both until they start sounding nasty, regardless of whatever the knobs might say.