Shuttlemax 9.2 vs Streamliner 900

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by CTC564, Dec 4, 2011.

1. CTC564

CTC564 Gold Supporting Member

Hello to all Genz Benz owners in TB land...

I'm in a bit of a crossroads...I went to a GB dealer last week to play through a SM 12.0 because I was CONVINCED I was going to fall in love with the Shuttlemax 9.2 and I figured this would give me a good idea as to how it would sound...

Well, turns out that I really liked the Streamliner 900 alot better!!!!

But, I really like the flexibility of two channels that are mixable

Soooooo....if you have either a 9.2 or a 900, please tell me your positive and negative opinions of owning one...

Thanks TB
  2. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

100% Shuttlemax 9.2 & I'm a Streamliner 900 owner

Flexibility is crucial... UNLESS you are very set in your type of music. I personally love my Streamliner 900 but thats because of 2 things

1) My cabs are TOO grindy, gritty & light in the low end
    2) I need a very subtle round warm, not in your face tone to play at church

The SL900 works great for me, I'm personally going to get a 9.2 & I can assure you if I only had to keep one its the 9.2.

So we to know what type of music you play, what cabs are you using & what tone are you looking for? How much variety in tone do you need?
  3. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

If you specifically want a big, tubey, super-warm sound, go with the Streamliner; otherwise, ShuttleMax. The voicings of these amps are so different that it really is just about that simple.
  4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

Just an FYI. Many (incl me) have tried the S-Liner and loved it.....until they played it in a band mix and found the bass disappeared. YMMV
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CTC564

Thanks...

I've played mostly 60's-80's rock and roll...some blues too

Probably will be playing the same in the future

My CURRENT rig is an Eden Metro 210 combo that I run into an SWR Goliath II 410 cab...it's a great sound, but HEAVY gear

My PLAN is to go with a GB SM 9.2 into a fEARful 15/6/1 cab

Other cab interests are Bergantino or maybe a Genz Benz Über cabs

Not sure if I'm decided on a 210, 410 or 212 cab yet
  7. lomo

That'd be my 1st choice by a wide margin.
  8. CTC564

Thanks Lomo...that's vital info

Cool dog too...Akita?

And where in Northern NY?
    I'm often in the Lake Placid area...
  9. CTC564

LOL...that's what I'm coming to realize...
  10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    This.

I owned, and had MANY gigs, with a Max 9.2. I demo'd an SL900, and really liked it. It sounded good on the stage I tried it on, and I loved the simplicity of it.

However, since then, I've played on several rooms since then where I have NO definition whatsoever onstage (I always play with full PA support, so my amp serves as a DI/stage monitor).

Do I like the Streamliner? Yes, but on a very limited basis. Do I regret making the trade? Now, yes I do. I was ALWAYS able to dial in my sound with the Max. And I was always able to hear myself on stage perfectly with it. Not so with the Streamliner.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd have kept my Max 9.2 (yes, I know, you warned me, Joe;)).

I was all set to buy another Max head (and still might), but I came across an insane deal on an Eden WT1205 and D610XST, brand new, so for now, I'm going to be back to running an Eden rig.
  11. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm a member of the club who owned and loved a Streamliner 900, only to find it too wooly over time. I own a Shuttle 9.0 that I bought before the Streamliner. I initially preferred the Streamliner, then over time found that the Shuttle 9's cleaner tone won me back. I still have the STL-9 and no regrets over letting the STM-900 go.
  12. rodl2005

rodl2005

Me too! The STL sounded GREAT on its own, but I found I couldn't get a sound in a band mix. Too wooly & muddy for me to.
    I'd go the SM.
  13. CTC564

Wow!!
    Initially, I thought I'd get flamed for posting this and expected nothing to come of it other than "Just get what sounds good to you..."

But I'm happy with the info here...looks like most are unhappy with the Streamliner in a live situation...

I'll continue to keep the 9.2 on my top 3 amps...

Thanks
  14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Not sure that three people equals 'most':smug:

As posted above, those two amps are so different sounding that you should be able to make a decision very easily. That being said, since the Streamliner vibes an all tube head, that is defintitely a more 'specialized tone' than the much more standard hybrid tone of the 9.2. I love both these tone profiles, and it really does just depend on what you want.

Interestingly, I find the EQ section of the Streamliner more complicated than the 9.2. Even though there are less knobs, the EQ is highly interactive, and also impacted by the gain setting (just like a big old tube amp). You can really make it sound bloomy and tubby if you don't know what you are doing. And, similar to many all tube amps, cab matching to the head is key with the Streamliner. A cab that is big in the low end and scooped in the mids can lead to trouble with the Streamliner. I use mine with the Berg AE410, but am also VERY impressed with this head and the fEarful cabs (I have one on order).

That being said, if you are looking for a punchy, highly articulate and mid present tone, the 9.2 is the safe bet. If you LOVE the give and bloom and smoothness and fatness of an all tube amp, the Streamliner is about the closest thing to that in a hybrid that you can get (along with the Mesa MPulse600).

The 'safe bet' is the 9.2.
  15. CTC564

Thanks KJung...all good points and very informative!!!

I've never actually owned an all tube amp...I have had SWR and Eden most of my days and the 9.2 seemed to resemble that layout the most to me...

I'm sure that I'll be happy with the 9.2 as I do intend to pair it with a fEARful also...thanks to you :)

PS...as a former P bass "HATER", I have to say that your Nordy P has converted me...
  16. slaps76

slaps76

Helpful thread for me...I'm changing my rig to something lighter, now have a Berg AE410 cab, and am looking at GB heads. Hoping there's a dealer I can find nearby to actually test them, however everything I've read & listened to on clips, sounds like I'm pretty set on a 9.2. I play in a Top-40 cover band, and compete against two guitars on stage so need to cut through the mix with some boosted mids, and want to have a modern sound at my disposal. I know it's probably different, but the comments on the streamliner remind me of when I have my VT bass set to a "warm & rounded" sound, it sounds great solo, but disappears on stage.
  17. Musicman20

Musicman20

In my opinion, the Streamliner is one beautiful sounding amp. I havent had the chance to gig it a lot, but when I have, the big full round tone supports the band with zero issues. If you have something fairly aggressive anyway (I tend to play Musicman basses) the Streamliner has no issues.

I'm going to be picking up a Shuttle at some point, for a ying/yang to the Streamliner. Only because I like having multiple amps to be honest, and I like Genz products.
  18. lomo

Yeah-long-haired Akita, my late great Sambuka:crying:

I'm in Malone, an hour N of Placid. If you ever want to try my LDS 15-6 just shoot me a pm.
  19. CTC564

Thanks so much for the invite...next time I'm in the High Peaks area, I'll give you a shout

Sorry to touch on a sore subject...Sambuka was gorgeous!!!

My wife came home with an Akita pup about five years ago (Lakota) and she's a great addition to the family

She's had two litters so far...16 total

Akita pups are way cool...and when bred with a Husky, some got the blue eyes...just took your breath away!!!
  20. lomo

Sorry for the derail, but.......

She weighed 140 lbs at her peak and when we walked down the street, she got more looks than a supermodel in a G-string (really). She lived a great, long life. Now back to bass....
  21. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

I have never played the Streamliner, but I am a happy owner of a SM 9.2 . Great amp. If you are in a band or bands that you need some versatility, the 9.2 is the answer. I love the FET channel for a very modern sound with great slap potential. If I need a heavier tubier sound, that's ready to go. It can get some mud and grind, too if that is what you are after, albeit not a tubey as the Streamliner.