Shuttlemax 9.2 VS. Svt 7 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MycooLeeyun, Sep 15, 2013.

1. MycooLeeyun

MycooLeeyun Supporting Member

I'm currently using a Shuttlemax 9.2 and the sound seems to be very focused to me. What are some of the apparent tonal differences between these 2 amps? I'm looking for a "bigger" sound, more bottom, with a bite to cut through the mix. I play an Ibanez SR 20th Anniversary and a g&l jb2. I use d'addario balanced tension strings. And my cab is an Avatar B410 Neo. Basically, I'm slightly displeased with my tone and I'm looking at my amp right now as the culprit.
  2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Can't comment on the 7Pro.

Just FYI, the 'lo boost' filter on the Max is not the typical 'bass boost' control. Rather, it simultaneously lowers the hi pass filtering and then boosts those freq's slightly to compensate for the ear's propensity to hear higher frequencies more efficiently.

So, don't be afraid to crank that to the max (pardon the pun). It is nothing like cranking a bass EQ control to the max, which is typically not a good idea. It will just widen and fatten that low end, extending the low end sharp rolloff down into the low 30hz (with still very good sub-bass protection for you cab).

Also, if you want more bite, don't be afraid to mess with the gain versus volume controls.... engage the input 'boost button on the tube channel, crank the gain a bit, and then lower the volume so you aren't overdriving the EQ section. Add a bit of low mid boost with the lower mid semi-parametric, and make sure the 'scoop' filter is off. That should give you one of the best 'fat low end with bite' on the market.

I'm not saying that the 7Pro might not work better for you, but make sure you understand and make the best use of that very extensive, powerful and unique EQ, filter and gain section of the Max before you make a more.:)
  3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

Been there done that. GK MB Fusion 800.
  4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

That is definitely another option for the OP. Definitely a more extended low end than the Max, even with the hi pass all the way lowered (for better or worse, depending on what you want), and an even more forward upper mid response. Nice head for sure!
  5. j0616bass

j0616bass

I have learned so much about this amp by randomly running across posts by KJung...your input is much appreciated by this 9.2 owner!
  6. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized fEARful/FEARLESS/greenboy designs builder
    I pretty much dime the Lo-boost filter on my SM 9.2 most of the time...thickens up the lows for sure...great amps, but as with anything, not for everyone...MBF800 sure seems cool and I personally like the Aggie TH500
  7. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

My 9.2max was warm as ever last night on the tube section. Boost lows, cut low mids & set up your high mids & treble as needed.

Love it
  8. MycooLeeyun

Great responses! I'm going to mess with the low boost and eq a little more. I'll also look into the GK. Thanks a bunch.
  9. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    My ShuttelMAx 9.2 is a mean machine.. I almost ALWAYS have the Low Boost ON, and set to about 12 o'clock... Never much more unless im doing a restaurant gig.. But last month had a bunch of festival and county fair gigs. .huge stages I run the boost off.. Only becasue the deepness in the huge PA can be felt for a mile..
    On large gigs, i find i play MUCH Lower in volume on stage than when im home on a rock gig.. When at home and with my cover band or blues band, i play to the room with MIN PA.. But on my larger gigs,i can gig with one cab since i have great monitors, usually with IEMs and always a super PA... I dont need the extra lows onstage when I have a 80,000 watt PA.. HA
    The Genz DI, is about the best DI i have had in any amp... I used to get compliments all the time.. but now i think they are used to it... ha
  10. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses/Genz Benz - RIP/Mojo Hand FX
    SM9.2 has been my go-to amp for about 3 or 4 years now (since it came out). previously I was using the GBE 1200, which I still own and love, but it's heavy and with my aging back, the SM9.2 was the perfect Godsend...

I use both channels all the time, and don't really do anything special with the EQ...I bump the low end a couple of clicks passed noon, low mids bumped but don't remember at what freq...don't really use the high mids, and bump the treble a couple of clicks above noon...

Kirk (svtb15) and I did a show together about a month ago, and set up both our SM9.2's. When we set up, we both laughed at how close our EQ matched...almost exactly the same.

I don't use the global EQ section much, but from time to time (when I feel the lows are sounding thin) I will turn on the low boost and set it about noon...

I just added the SFX MicroThumpinator to my pedal board, and man does that thing "really" tighten up the over all sound...
  11. MycooLeeyun

Good stuff. I'm excited to get back in the warehouse and mess with the low boost and EQ.
  12. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    +1