Signal Chain Questions for looping

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thetaxmiser, Jan 21, 2014.

1. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

I'm putting together a looping setup. I have a few instruments that I will use: Guitar, bass, piccolo bass, and electronic percussion (handsonic, wavedrum or similar).

I want the guitars and basses to go through a pedal board. I currently have a M13 and will likely add some others (ravish, pog2, and ?). Everything will need to go through the looping pedal. I am waiting to get a Boomerang III I bought here in the classifieds.

My thinking:
    Run everything through an inexpensive mixer (Mackie, Peavey, Yamaha or similar). Have the pedal board in the mixer effects send/return. That way I can assign the instruments I want to go through the effects and have some basic EQ for each instrument.

The output of the mixer will go through the Boomerang and the Boomerang out will go to either a powered PA speaker or my GK MB500 Fusion into a full range speaker.

Am I way off base? I have always been a bass>>>amp guy. Decided it is time to expand my horizons.

If this is all wrong, any advice would be appreciated.

2. lz4005

lz4005

You're absolutely on the right track.

One thing I would recommend is to experiment with where you put the effects. Some will work just fine in the effects loop, while others will be better between an instrument and the mixer, or between the mixer and the looper.

When I used to do live multi-instrument looping I had separate effects for guitar and bass, which made switching between the two in the middle of a song easier.

3. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

Separate effects would be nice but I will be using some of the same ones for bass / guitar / piccolo bass...two cheap to by multiples of the same effects!

Thanks for the advice.