Signal level pad between amp and soundcard?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Stealth, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Alright, I've got a TCE BG500-210 and a Terratec DMX 6Fire USB that I'd like to link up for home recording.
    The TCE has a balanced XLR meant for PA output, with output rated to +2 dBu@600 Ω.
    The Terratec has a balanced XLR mic input (I'm guessing with an 600 Ω input impedane as well) and it has a -20 dB pad switch as well.

The last time I tried to connect the two, the preamp would flash into clipping very quickly unless the amp gain was set very, very low, even with the -20 dB switch engaged. Unfortunately, since I quite like the dirty sound of the TCE with the gain at 12 o'clock and the TubeTone set between 10 and 2 o'clock (which affects both the "pre" and "power" section simulation"), this does not bode well for me.

So, my question is - what kind of pad can I make that would accept an XLR, symmetrically pad both the hot and cold leads (in respect to the ground) down to a reasonable loudness level and finally send the signal down to the sound card?

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

3. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    http://www.uneeda-audio.com/pads/

4. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Thank you both, a prebuilt unit is good, but a DIY solution is even better. :D

So if I got it right, and since this is a balanced line, I need to use a U or O-configuration and leave the ground untouched, i.e. connecting the two ends directly, right? Since there's a set of resistor values that convert from line to mike level, I'm assuming that should be exactly what I need?

5. Register to disable this ad