1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Signal level pad between amp and soundcard?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Stealth, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Alright, I've got a TCE BG500-210 and a Terratec DMX 6Fire USB that I'd like to link up for home recording.
    The TCE has a balanced XLR meant for PA output, with output rated to +2 dBu@600 Ω.
    The Terratec has a balanced XLR mic input (I'm guessing with an 600 Ω input impedane as well) and it has a -20 dB pad switch as well.

The last time I tried to connect the two, the preamp would flash into clipping very quickly unless the amp gain was set very, very low, even with the -20 dB switch engaged. Unfortunately, since I quite like the dirty sound of the TCE with the gain at 12 o'clock and the TubeTone set between 10 and 2 o'clock (which affects both the "pre" and "power" section simulation"), this does not bode well for me.

So, my question is - what kind of pad can I make that would accept an XLR, symmetrically pad both the hot and cold leads (in respect to the ground) down to a reasonable loudness level and finally send the signal down to the sound card?
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

3. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

http://www.uneeda-audio.com/pads/
  4. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Thank you both, a prebuilt unit is good, but a DIY solution is even better. :D

So if I got it right, and since this is a balanced line, I need to use a U or O-configuration and leave the ground untouched, i.e. connecting the two ends directly, right? Since there's a set of resistor values that convert from line to mike level, I'm assuming that should be exactly what I need?