1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

signal loss with older piezo pickups

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by contrabart, Jan 6, 2014.

1. contrabart

contrabart

I think I've read something somewhere, a long time ago, about piezo pickups deteriorate when they get older. I recently started using my realist again after years of playing without amp, or using a mic. I have one bass with a realist that's about 10 years old, and another that was fitted with one just over a month ago. Using the old one I need to turn up the amp more than twice as much as with the new pickup. Is his a common thing for old pickups?
  2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

Contra Bart,
    Sam Findlay from David Gage was very forthcoming when he came onto our thread several years ago. In short, he told us that Realists tend to degrade over time, due to piezo element fatiguing under pressure, after about 4 years.

Ric
  3. contrabart

contrabart

Thanks for the info, Ric.