Signature Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iriegnome, Oct 30, 2012.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Media:
    I would like to know what is up with signature basses. Never in a thousand years would I play someone else's signature bass. IMHO, I just don't know why someone would. Of course I realize that there are specifics to the bass that make it special (At least I think that is what it would be), but really, why would you play a signature bass? It isn't going to make you play like that person. It is not going to give you that person's sound. It will not give you their vibe. So, humbly, I ask, Why would you play a signature bass? And please no haters.

2. saustindavis

saustindavis

I know where you're coming from. I don't get the signature thing either. The Geddy and/or Miller Jazz interest me, but only slightly. I'd rather have something that wasn't so specific to the artist that I could tweak and make sound/play the way I like it. I'm interested to know why they appeal to so many people also.

3. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
    If it's a good bass with the features you want, then why not? Who cares what name is on the thing if it does what you want it to do?

I have no illusions that playing a Fender Reggie Hamilton 5 would make me sound or play like Reggie, but if I was looking for an active 5-string P/J, the RH would definitely be a contender. Likewise, if I was looking for another active jazz, the Sadowsky Will Lee would be at the top of my list precisely because it's exactly what I want and can't find much of anywhere else (34", 22 fret, 12" radius, etc).

And so on.

4. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

I see way more geetars then basses . I would have no qualms about playing a Ibby GW or say a Fender Roscoe Beck so yeah if it's a nice instrument the name wouldn't bother me .

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    It is kinda funny...there are some signature basses I'd avoid trying because of the signature, but that's really just snobbery on my part :(

I have owned/played two different signature uprights, but they were both mine :D

7. DigitalMan

DigitalMan

I suggest looking at something for what it is instead of how it is branded. Opposition based on branding is on par with acquisition based on branding.

8. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    THAT!!!

9. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

That's the reason for me right there.

10. JACink

JACink

I agree totally, but if there was the option of the same intrument with or without the sig, I would much prefer without.

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

Great comment.

12. Addison

Addison This time, I didn't forget the gravy. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Graphic Designer, Zon Guitars
    I like when an artist adds some cool ideas to a signature model... ones that nobody else ever tried before or may have never appeared on that particular model. The Zon Hyperbass and Ibanez Gary Willis basses come to mind.

But, when it gets tooooooooo overboard with aesthetic craziness, it's a turnoff for me.

For example, I'm not even a huge Slipknot fan but I thought the lefty Paul Gray Ibanez "PGB1" ATK bass was actually pretty cool on its own... until you look at the fingerboard and see that they ruined it with that gigantic tribal "S" and fugly "#2 star pattern" inlay.

So, it depends... I'm about substance, not style.

13. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    My feeling on signature basses is that you are probably paying more because it is a signature model. They really do not interest me. With one exception, the Zon Sonus RT 5 string because the neck is slimmer than the regular Sonus model.

14. Dan B

Dan B

Depends on the instrument. If the signature model is not so different from the original model, then I wouldn't play it. Conversely, if the model was completely different from what is offered by the company/business/luthier, I wouldn't mind playing it one bit (Peavey RJ-IV, Yamaha BBNE2, EBMM Big Al (okay that one is a stretch but since it is based off the Albert Lee Signature model it counts) just to name a few).

15. JonKim

JonKim Supporting Member

I bought my Warwick pnut 2 & 3 not because of pnut himself (great bassist btw) but for the price compared to a custom shop Warwick it was a steal for the wood/electronics combo. Amazing playing basses!

16. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

I play a signature bass. I designed it, I contracted out the parts I couldn't build or modify, and I signed it.

17. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    Though I´m really not into signature basses, the only signature bass I´d play would be the Yamaha BBNE2. Not because it´s Nathan´s bass but because I really like everything about it (the bass), from colour scheme to woods and electronics.

18. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Often the signature model will have some special features added that will significantly improve it - and those ideas come from a professional player actually playing the bass, so usually the features aren't frivolous (though sometimes not).

I.e. here's why I play Carvin Bunnies nowadays:
    http://www.carvinchannel.com/play.php?vid=116

LS

19. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    oh, and the Fender Victor Bailey 5 ;)

20. pgolliher

pgolliher

I have a friend that bought a Steve Harris signature bass because he ended up picking it up and like the way it looked, sounded, etc. He isn't an Iron Maiden or Steve Harris fan, he just liked the bass for what it was and how it fit the feel and sound he was looking for. I am a huge Steve Harris fan, but have no interest in owning one (unless it was free and he signed it) simply because I like P/Js with Jazz necks. While I would prefer non-sigs, sometimes it just makes sense to the buyer because the mods are what they want. For example Fender folks that also like Bad Ass II bridges.

21. Peepaleep

Peepaleep Supporting Member

I'm not being a hater, but I am glad that a lot of great musicians do not think as the OP does. The list of guitar players who have strapped on a Les Paul is nearly endless.