silicone in guitar cleaner?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ewo, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

I've been using the Dunlop 65 Polish and Cleaner for a while; seems to get the spooge off the bass pretty well after a gig or a long practice session.

Anybody know if there's silicone in that stuff? Not that I'm planning to refin any of my basses, but I've heard it's best to avoid using silicone on an instrument.
  2. R Baer

R Baer Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Baer Amplification
    I usually assume that if a product doesn't specify that it is silicone free, then it probably has it in there.
  3. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

From an acoustic/vintage guitar forum that asked the same thing and emailed Dunlop the question. This was Dunlop's response:

"Yes, there are trace amounts of silicone, silicone poses no threat to the finish unless you have a nitro-cellulose or vintage instrument. Formula 65 polish is generally OK for a nitro finish. I would not use it if there are cracks, checking, or dings in the finish. I also would not use it if it is an old and thin finish. No matter who the manufacturer is of the polish, rubbing anything on a thin and old nitro finish with a liquid and a cloth can take off color---I've seen it first hand. To be honest, on my vintage guitars, I do not use any polish."

If you want silicone-free guitar polish try the stuff from Music Nomad: http://www.musicnomadcare.com/guitarpolish.html
  4. Ewo

Thanks for the 411 on silicone free stuff. Ima gonna get summa dat.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
  7. Ewo

Wow. So he says silicone in a polish is no big deal...
  8. DingoBlues

DingoBlues

I just got the Gerlitz "works" kit. The polish - Smudge Off - in that kit is silicone fee. Will give it try tonight.

www.gerlitzusa.com
  9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Don't care what Sadowsky says. Silicone NEVER comes off.
  10. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    Yeah. Roger's an idiot and has no clue what he's talking about. Some guy named Floyd on a bulletin board knows way more than one of the premier instrument builders living.
  11. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

The problem with the silicone isn't so much that it damages existing nitro.

The problem is that you can never put anything layer or repair spot of nitro.

***. Selling a guitar cleaning product with silicone in it without warning people about it should get them sued.
  12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Hardly one guys opinion. Google is your friend. ;)

I am however a carpenter by trade and know a thing or two about wood. You want to use silicone on your stuff, be my guest.
  13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Also not shocking a company who uses silicone in their products would make that claim. lol
  14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

15. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

FWIW, the cheap "Scratch-X" sold at Target is or was silicone-free. They now have a "Mk 2 product" that I didn't look up yet.

Also note that there is a big difference between these two things:
    - a cleaner
    - an abrasive polish

To make things really bad one of the most trusted vendors has a "Virtuoso cleaner" which is an abrasive polish and "Virtuoso polish" which is a non-abrasive cleaning product :)

I think there is work to do here...
  16. Disappear

Disappear

:(

All the hate on silicones. They might not be great on woods but they sure make beer less foamy, among other great things.
  17. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Great for sealing windows and doors.
  18. Ewo

Yeah, I'd read Erlewine's take on it. That's what prompted me to ask the question here.

Hey, I very much appreciate all your comments and insights! I didn't know this was a controversial thing; just assumed that I oughtta stay away from using Lemon Pledge on musical instruments.

None of my basses have a nitro finish, but my main player is a Carvin SB5000 (love that thing!). The body is poly, but the neck is tung oiled.

So I'm wondering if it's OK to wipe the whole thing down (including back of neck) with the Dunlop cleaner--or if I should get a product without silicone. Again, your thoughts are much appreciated!
  19. bill reed

bill reed

been using Gerlitz for many years. think there Gerlitz no1 pollish to be the best out there
  20. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    There should be no issues with the amount silicone thats in waxes and polishes on a clear coated finishes. Even if the guitar needs to be repainted later any wax and grease remove will take it off.
  21. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

if you want silicone free i suggest heading to a bodyshop supply store/web-site and buy something there. keeping silicone out of the paintshop has been a huge issue in recent years so there are some really great products available. to me the only real drawback to silicone in a guitar polish would be the possible effect it COULD have on future repairs or refinishes. use a high quality POLISH and it will not "pile up" like coats of paint. one coat will reflow the one under it for a uniform finish. build up is possible but only if you use way too much and don't wipe it down completely. just follow the directions.

p.s. wax and grease removers will not completely remove a high quality silicon product! using two wipe downs with wax and grease remover, one after the other, is just the beginning step in trying
    to avoid a silicone contamination issue. this is an every day battle in the refinish business and i wish it was that simple! as you are sitting there reading this forum i would bet there is silicon on
    your hands right now as well as your clothing, hair and almost everything you touch.