1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Silly Question or Serious Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Uncajohnny, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Uncajohnny

Uncajohnny

Maybe someone can help me with this question. Would like to acquire a used (read less expensive) 5-string that can play a good, clean B string. None of the dreaded floppy B like my Ibanez SR405 has. Play mostly jazz, (quiet stuff) with fairly small groups. Want a 5-stringer that sounds good on the B for some good low stuff. No chance to "test-play" these as I live in a small town.
    Some background: have a Fender Jazz MIM 4 string (Audere Pre & Bartoline P'ups) & an Ibanez SR700 4 string (stock) with DR Black Beauties. Prefer the Ibby 'cause my hand fits the neck better & I find it easier to play & like the softer tone of the Ibby better for what I play. Plan to use DR Lowrider Medium's (130 B) on the 5'er. The SR405 is out of action due to FUBAR Bart MK1's on it. Anyway, here are my choices:
    *** Ibanez SR1005 EFM ***
    *** Ibanez SRX705 ***( I know, I know, it looks like the king of Metal!)
    ***Peavey Cirrus BXP 5 string *** (am thinking the 35" scale, neck thru & string thru would help the B.?.?.?)
    I realize that there is a HUGE difference in original cost/level/status/equipment etc. but am most interested in B string sound quality/sustain etc,etc....
    Any TBer have experience with these 5 stringers? Can anyone give me any guidance, aside from telling me to shut the *&%# up & quit taking up so much space?
    Thanks,
  2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Try Esp Ltd F series. Among the best sounding $379 and up fivers Ive heard for new bass. Very nice neck comprable to IBanez SRs and diff better sounding then the Ibanez's imo.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The "floppy B" is a function of the string, not the bass (except for scale). Put something heavier on the Ibanez.
  4. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

SBMM Ray35

I don't own one of these, but I did have a SR5 for over 20 yrs. The quality of the B string on SR5s is generally renowned, and every time I've grabbed a Ray35 to try one out, I've yet to be able to discern a difference between them and my old SR5. Thus, I feel relatively confident in saying that you would appreciate the B (along with everything else) on a Ray35.
  5. awilkie84

awilkie84

On the cheap: Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass V

KILLER bass for the money!
  6. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I find nothing wrong with Ibanez SR B strings. I love my SR505. Try some Lo-Beams or maybe a heavier gauge.
  7. soulman969

soulman969

Yep I'm with the group. Going to a heavier gauge B string and/or a higher tension string will help some and going to a 35" scale bass will help a whole lot more.
  8. kevingr

kevingr

I agree, I hated my 5 String Jazz till I changed the strings.
  9. scottfeldstein

If you are going to put on a heavier gauge you might want to have a tech do it. It may raise the action or not fit properly in the nut. First time I put on a different gauge I usually take it in and have someone do it for me. (Techier guys just do it themselves, I'm sure.)
  10. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Off- Topic, but Scott, has anyone ever told you that you look like Terry Francona?[​IMG]
  11. scottfeldstein

Why's everyone always telling me who I look like up in here?? That's one I haven't heard before, I have to admit. :)
  12. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

LOL well at least I'm original. I would call it flattery.
  13. AndroWal

AndroWal Supporting Member

Until a few days I ago I owned two SR1005s....just sold one and currently am keeping one. The Bs on both are great. Not floppy and with good intonation up the fingerboard even past the 12th fret....and I use DR HiBeams with a 120 B! I do recommend the SR1005s...and not just the EFM. The EWNs are great also...I find them just a tad less bright than the EFM. It was great to own both and A/B them.
  14. iiipopes

iiipopes

Likewise. The B string on my SRA305 is great. With the asian mahogany body instead of alder, ash or other wood, I use GHS steels on this particular bass because over time I have found that GHS tends to work better with mahogany or maple and D'Addario and others tend to work better with alder or ash. Get their standard 138 and I assure you it will not be floppy.