Silly Question or Serious Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Uncajohnny, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Uncajohnny

Uncajohnny

Maybe someone can help me with this question. Would like to acquire a used (read less expensive) 5-string that can play a good, clean B string. None of the dreaded floppy B like my Ibanez SR405 has. Play mostly jazz, (quiet stuff) with fairly small groups. Want a 5-stringer that sounds good on the B for some good low stuff. No chance to "test-play" these as I live in a small town.
    Some background: have a Fender Jazz MIM 4 string (Audere Pre & Bartoline P'ups) & an Ibanez SR700 4 string (stock) with DR Black Beauties. Prefer the Ibby 'cause my hand fits the neck better & I find it easier to play & like the softer tone of the Ibby better for what I play. Plan to use DR Lowrider Medium's (130 B) on the 5'er. The SR405 is out of action due to FUBAR Bart MK1's on it. Anyway, here are my choices:
    *** Ibanez SR1005 EFM ***
    *** Ibanez SRX705 ***( I know, I know, it looks like the king of Metal!)
    ***Peavey Cirrus BXP 5 string *** (am thinking the 35" scale, neck thru & string thru would help the B.?.?.?)
    I realize that there is a HUGE difference in original cost/level/status/equipment etc. but am most interested in B string sound quality/sustain etc,etc....
    Any TBer have experience with these 5 stringers? Can anyone give me any guidance, aside from telling me to shut the *&%# up & quit taking up so much space?
    Thanks,

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Try Esp Ltd F series. Among the best sounding $379 and up fivers Ive heard for new bass. Very nice neck comprable to IBanez SRs and diff better sounding then the Ibanez's imo.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The "floppy B" is a function of the string, not the bass (except for scale). Put something heavier on the Ibanez.

4. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

SBMM Ray35

I don't own one of these, but I did have a SR5 for over 20 yrs. The quality of the B string on SR5s is generally renowned, and every time I've grabbed a Ray35 to try one out, I've yet to be able to discern a difference between them and my old SR5. Thus, I feel relatively confident in saying that you would appreciate the B (along with everything else) on a Ray35.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. awilkie84

awilkie84

On the cheap: Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass V

KILLER bass for the money!

7. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I find nothing wrong with Ibanez SR B strings. I love my SR505. Try some Lo-Beams or maybe a heavier gauge.

8. soulman969

soulman969

Yep I'm with the group. Going to a heavier gauge B string and/or a higher tension string will help some and going to a 35" scale bass will help a whole lot more.

9. kevingr

kevingr

I agree, I hated my 5 String Jazz till I changed the strings.

10. scottfeldstein

If you are going to put on a heavier gauge you might want to have a tech do it. It may raise the action or not fit properly in the nut. First time I put on a different gauge I usually take it in and have someone do it for me. (Techier guys just do it themselves, I'm sure.)

11. jlepre

jlepre

Off- Topic, but Scott, has anyone ever told you that you look like Terry Francona?[​IMG]

12. scottfeldstein

Why's everyone always telling me who I look like up in here?? That's one I haven't heard before, I have to admit. :)

13. jlepre

jlepre

LOL well at least I'm original. I would call it flattery.

14. AndroWal

AndroWal Supporting Member

Until a few days I ago I owned two SR1005s....just sold one and currently am keeping one. The Bs on both are great. Not floppy and with good intonation up the fingerboard even past the 12th fret....and I use DR HiBeams with a 120 B! I do recommend the SR1005s...and not just the EFM. The EWNs are great also...I find them just a tad less bright than the EFM. It was great to own both and A/B them.

15. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Likewise. The B string on my SRA305 is great. With the asian mahogany body instead of alder, ash or other wood, I use GHS steels on this particular bass because over time I have found that GHS tends to work better with mahogany or maple and D'Addario and others tend to work better with alder or ash. Get their standard 138 and I assure you it will not be floppy.