Silversun Pickups

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

Man, Nikki Monninger is so cute :D
  2. MaskedJackal

MaskedJackal

Agreed. I actually dug Swoon more than I thought I would, but Carnavas remains the better of the two, IMHO. SSPU are a nice replacement for the hole in my heart the reunited "Smashing Pumpkins" created.
  3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Gravity Picks
    Good band, great gear, but IMO she is the epitome of someone whom if she wasnt female, she wouldnt gather attention. Simple 8th notes are done by many bassist in much better bands, but go unrecognized due to them being just another male bassist.

Thats all IMO, of course! They are a great band, I have always tapped my foot to their stuff. Its jammin.
  4. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

They really are a great band. They're obviously influenced by the smashing pumpkins (though it's been said over and over).

Nikki isn't a bad bassist, i don't think they'd have their sound if it wasn't for her simple basslines. I admit she may not be 'full of talent' underneath it all, but she keeps it solid and does her job.

she's not about to become the next big thing in the bass world though

(oh and her T-bird tone is perfect in my opinion)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JukeBoxHero

JukeBoxHero

I dig her bass lines, some stuff that stick out from the normal 8th note drones is the triplets and keyboard/bass melody played in Lazy Eye. The bass lines for Well Thought Out Twinkles and Panic Switch are not too bad either. I think what I like most about her playing is that tone she has is perfect for the band.

Yeah. same here
  7. Jontom

Jontom

Does she have a chin? If she doesn't she can have one of mine.
    I see the Smashing Pumpkins similarities, but moreso The Pixies on this one...
  8. infamusblkdeath

infamusblkdeath

i couldn't even hear it..
  9. JukeBoxHero

JukeBoxHero

That's odd, I thought her distorted pick tone was easy to hear...
  10. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

is that an 800rb i see? turned on its side sitting on the floor in the shot where she gets pulled back by the cord
  11. BassSurfer

BassSurfer

I agree with everyone about her T-Bird tone...fits the mix very well!
  12. Infernal Affair

Infernal Affair

I was thinking more Smashing Pumpkins meets My Bloody Valentine.
  13. xsogol

xsogol

Does anyone have any idea what type of strings Nikki uses?

I can't tell from listening and, after scouring the internet, I can't find anything other than the obvious that she plays a T-Bird pickstyle through an SVT.
  14. woodyng

woodyng

When i first heard "panic switch", i thought "great bassline and tone!". I also thoght the lead singer was female,but there ya go. I really like her bass playing and backing vocals,both are perfect for the songs. I also really dislike when people say that someone isn't that good when they're not playing complicated bass lines. After decades of playing,i've found one of the most rewarding things to pull off is a simple direct bass line that makes the song shine,and is memorable,as opposed to overdoing it.
  15. xander8280

xander8280

16. MRDOOM

MRDOOM