1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Silvertone 1490 Pickguard Replacement

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kiwi_Rik, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Kiwi_Rik

Kiwi_Rik

I recently bought an old 1490 that had a home-made pickguard and old stereo knobs on it, so I decided to make a new pickguard for it.

[​IMG]

The headstock was missing the badge, but it looked like it was badged as a 'Diplomat'. I didn't think there was any chance of finding one of those badges, so I decided to go with the Silvertone brand which was the Sears version. I created a new logo in Illustrator and printed a waterslide decal, stripped the headstock, applied the decal and clear-coated over the top.

[​IMG]

Next step was to re-create the pickguards. I took a scan off the home made one (which seemed to be directly copied from the original) but the small horn guard was missing, so I had to create that based on photos from the net. I created a template in Illustrator and had a local company laser cut the Torti sheet. Then I just had to bevel the edges (which was a huge learning curve) but I think the end result is ok. Finally, I found a set of knobs from a local electronics store which is as close as I will get to the originals. I added the 'V' 'V' and 'T' using waterslide decals again.

[​IMG]

If anyone is interested in the Illustrator template for the pickguards, I am happy to supply it.

2. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

3. MCF

MCF

Your 1490 looks great! I'm trying to repair/restore one from 1971. Can you share the pick guard templates? How did you bevel the plastic?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Amazing! Nice job!

5. Register to disable this ad