1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Silvertone 1490 Pickguard Replacement

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kiwi_Rik, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Kiwi_Rik

Kiwi_Rik

I recently bought an old 1490 that had a home-made pickguard and old stereo knobs on it, so I decided to make a new pickguard for it.

[​IMG]

The headstock was missing the badge, but it looked like it was badged as a 'Diplomat'. I didn't think there was any chance of finding one of those badges, so I decided to go with the Silvertone brand which was the Sears version. I created a new logo in Illustrator and printed a waterslide decal, stripped the headstock, applied the decal and clear-coated over the top.

[​IMG]

Next step was to re-create the pickguards. I took a scan off the home made one (which seemed to be directly copied from the original) but the small horn guard was missing, so I had to create that based on photos from the net. I created a template in Illustrator and had a local company laser cut the Torti sheet. Then I just had to bevel the edges (which was a huge learning curve) but I think the end result is ok. Finally, I found a set of knobs from a local electronics store which is as close as I will get to the originals. I added the 'V' 'V' and 'T' using waterslide decals again.

[​IMG]

If anyone is interested in the Illustrator template for the pickguards, I am happy to supply it.
  2. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

LOOKS GREAT!