Simandl and arpeggios

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by Andy Mopley, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Hi all

in reviewing Simandl's book 1, I only found 1 reference to arpeggio exercises, broken chords on page 112.

Is this because in Simandl's approach to DB, arpeggios are not seen as a big part of his teaching OR that the book could only fit so much (other) material anyway ?
    Is there more on arpeggios in book 2, perhaps?

In many ways, the Simandl exercises seem to be designed to you can "hear" when a note doesn't sound right, maybe this is used in lieu of arpeggios?

Thanks for reading!
  2. Dimmik

Dimmik

What edition do you have? I see nothing on page 112 about arpeggiation and just thumbing through the book, I see arpeggiation going on in quite a number of the exercises. As for Book 2, I think that deals with playing in very high hand positions, thumb positions and what not.
  3. jmacdbass

jmacdbass jmacdbass.com, openmusiccollective.org

I can't think of to many exercises that don't have arpeggios written into them...
  4. Michael Case

Michael Case

Yeah most of the exercises have arpeggios written into them. The OP is referring to the "exercise in broken chords extending through all the major keys." That is page 104 in my book.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Yes, Michael, & others you are correct - page 104 is right. As i said, I can hear / read more of an approach by Simandl based on scales, whereas I know of some text entirely devoted to arpeggios - no big deal, just curious.

Thanks!
  7. damonsmith

damonsmith

You don't need Simandl's permission or even written music to play arpeggios. In fact, it is a good opportunity to look at your hands and correct hand position and shifting issues.