1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Simple Q

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by abemo, Jan 9, 2013.

1. abemo

abemo

So on my j style, I currently have series/parallel-volume-volume, but I've been thinking of taking the plunge and adding in a tone pot. To do this, I might take out the volumes in favor of a blend knob. My question is, with the V-V-S1 wiring, I basically have a master volume and a dead pot in series mode, if I did that with a blend knob, what happens in series mode? For instance, if I understand the theory properly, I only have one master volume in series mode because in series only one hot lead goes to the output, therefore only that pot has an active signal (eg, if the neck hot and bridge ground are connected in series mode, then the bridge volume acts as the master because the neck hot is already grounded, yes?). So with the blend knob, if I understand correctly, turning the knob to the right grounds out one of the hot leads, eg, the bridge, and turning to the left grounds out the other, eg, neck lead. So then when I switch to series (connecting the neck hot to the bridge ground), if I'm favoring the neck pup through the blend knob then I'll experience a volume drop right? Am I getting this right? Is there something I'm missing? Anybody done this that could offer some input?
  2. line6man

line6man

Rolling the blend toward the bridge pickup will reduce output. What you have to do is rewire the S1 switch so that the inputs of the blend pot are shunted together in series mode, so that the signal always has a direct path to the output of the pot.
  3. tabdog

tabdog

Thanks for the input. I guess I should have
    known that, but now I do,

Tabdog
  4. Cadfael

Cadfael

adding ...

With an S-1 switch you are lucky!
    You have 4 "layers" instead of 2 ...

Bridge Ground is normally wired to Ground.
    Bridge Hot goes to the switch.
    Neck Ground goes to the switch, too.
    Neck Hot normally goes to the middle of the Neck volume or middle of the neck balance pot.

Neck Hot should go to one of the free "layers" (switches) of the S-1 (middle position).
    In parallel mode it should be connected to the middle of the neck balance pot.
    In series mode it should be connected to the "left" contact of the Master Volume pot.

Then, the balance pot only works in parallel (which makes sense).

From 1976-79 Gibson offered the Tunderbird with mixabel series wiring!
    Maybe this would be possible with a balance pot in series/parallel, too - but this might get tricky ...