1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Simple question for the forum (I think)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thetaxmiser, Jul 27, 2013.

1. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

I have played bass for a long time but am an electronics noob. I have read through the stickies on electronics but don't want to waste time or money because I misunderstood.

I have an old bass that I want to refurb and learn a few things on. My question:

The pickups are a G&L l1000 pickup and a jazz pickup labelled Bartolini. Both date from the early to mid 80's. Right now everything is passive. I think I can use any preamp with these pickups (Sadowsky, Aguilar, Audere, East, Carvin).

Am I correct? Any suggestions on what might work well? The body is an L1000 that was routed for the J pickup in the bridge position.

Thanks for your advice.

2. line6man

line6man

Any preamp works, with exceptions. Some preamps are designed for piezo pickups, and these will work, but the high input impedance may equate to excess noise. Also, there are a handful of preamps out there that are designed for low impedance signals from active pickups. These have input impedances low enough to load down passive pickups. Other than that, preamps don't care what feeds into them.

3. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Pot values are another thing to keep mind of. 25k or 50k (darker or brighter, respectively) with active pups, 250k or 500k (darker or brighter, respectively) with passives. Most preamps I've encountered use linear taper pots (B), but I prefer logarithmic taper (A). Simply a matter of opinion on those, though.

4. line6man

line6man

Preamps use linear taper pots with center detents for EQ. And you wouldn't want to mess with values. Changing the values and tapers will compromise the functionality of the EQ.

For volume pots, however, you must always use 250k or 500k pots, if you intend to do active/passive switching. The use of a 25k or 50k pot would only be suitable for a master volume, placed after a preamp. And in which case, it must be bypassed for passive operation, or else the pickups will be loaded down by the relatively low resistance of the pot.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member