Simple question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by NeverIsNow, Jan 2, 2014.

1. NeverIsNow

NeverIsNow

Hello,

Almost all the combo amps I've encountered turn off it's speaker when something is plugged into the output (e.i. a headphone jack), are there any combo amps that don't do this? If so what are they called and where can I get them?
  2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

My MarkBass Minimark combo amps doesn't do that. There is a switch on the back panel to turn off the speakers (internal & external).
  3. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

There was a thread here just yesterday about the fact that the Genz-Benz Contour 500 doesn't mute its speaker when phones are plugged in - one has to disconnect the speaker cable in back.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I could be wrong but I think the old SWR SuperRedhead 2-10 combos had a kill switch for the speakers and a headphone jack. I ran one for years but the headphone things is fuzzy for some reason.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Look for anything that looks like a regular head mounted in a combo. Trace, Ashdown, Peavey, probably Markbass, only Markbass regularly have headphone out imle.

What's the big deal anyway? There's better ways to get a send to FOH if that's what you're thinking.
  7. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Even if You find such an amp, if you connect a mono plug all the way into a double mono headphone out, you'll short the headphone output and no sound will come out.

In order to use a normal mono headphone out as an aux output, You need to use a sereo plug with the ring disconnected.
    Or
    You need to insert the plug only as deep as the "first notch" (R).

You don't want to short the right channel on a stereo headphone out either, even though usually no harm is done.

Regards
    Sam
  8. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

I have a hunch that he wants to connect two amps together.

Regards
    Sam
  9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Could be too,
    Headphone out is pretty hot signal isn't it?
  10. Icculus

Icculus

Last night, I spent over 10 minutes trying to figure out how to mute the damn thing. D'oh!
  11. NeverIsNow

NeverIsNow

Pretty much, I want to use my amp and a cab
  12. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Headphone outputs are very low power (1 watt usually less) and not designed to drive speaker cab loads.
  13. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

In the light of Your previous thread I incorrectly assumed that you didn't have the tuner out to be used as makeshift AUX out.

For the reason B-string pointed out, You can usually connect a speaker into the headphone out with a special cord, but only a very faint sound will come out.

Regards
    Sam
  14. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Combo amps have their uses but expanding them when they weren't designed to have an extension cab is a loss making plan. You need another amp to make the 2nd cab go, or another combo, and it still won't get you excited. Then you need to get a proper amp, which is what you should do now.
  15. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

Eden Metro has a separate speaker off switch, which operates on the internal speaker only!

This seems odd to me as the internal loaded speaker cabinet also has a short little speaker cable that plugs it into the amp, so you can completely disconnect it and run other speakers instead.

But the speaker defeat button does not work on other outboard speakers plugged into the amp, so I don't know what the impedance of the internal cabinet looks like when the speakers are defeated. Seems an odd design choice to me, but it does do what you're looking for.