1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Simple rhythm pattern for Latin style?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ElectroVibe, Jul 30, 2013.

1. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

What would be a good simple bass rhythm when playing with a drummer who does more syncopated Latin and Brazilian style playing? (I won't be playing with him all the time, but on rare occasions.)

I am a fairly simple player, rhythmically speaking. I don't go beyond 8th notes.

I am looking for a good basic rhythm that only uses 2 beats (at most 3) when dividing the beat into 8ths.

Thanks for any help or ideas.

2. MazingerZ

MazingerZ

I - V beat is okay for samba, bossa styles

3. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Do you mean "half" notes on the 1st and 5th of the chords, like in country and western? I had actually thought about that and I was surprised that it seemed to fit what I was hearing in my head after playing with this drummer one time. The simpler the better as far as I am concerned.

4. Cycho

Cycho

With most Latin pieces I would say any constantly repeated rhythm is wrong. If you listen to Latin drumming you aren't going to hear a steady repeated beat like you hear with rock. That's not to say you play at random. Try to play rhythmic phrases, but improvise as you go. With Bossa Nova you tend to emphasize the 3 beat but how you implement this emphasis is up to you.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. T-34

T-34

Google "tumbao", you'll see tons of videos on how basic latin lines are constructed.
    I'll recommend Oscar Stagnaro's book "Latin bass book" too if you want to know more, it has good amount of explanations, lessons and play-alongs...

7. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Both are good suggestions. But I think the best thing would be to listen to some music - otherwise you're not going to have a clue what's happening. There are lots of bands you could check out but for Afro-Cuban I'm going to suggest the album Mandali by Africando. The bass on that album is clear sonically and you should be able to pick out the lines without too much difficulty.

8. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Another strong vote for Oscar Stagnaro's book. It's got everything you need.

9. T-34

T-34

Yes, there's so much material in this book (and included CDs), it is almost overwhelming. Which is better than the contrary :D

10. mambo4

mambo4

the basic son tumbao fits your description.
    [​IMG]

another +1 to 'google tumbao' and Oscar Stangoro's book.

the phrase "syncopated Latin and Brazilian style playing" indicates a lack of specificity.
    Is he playing a known Latin rhythm, or is he simply playing "latin-ish" rhythms?
    Latin bass seems simple at first blush but the tradition is deep.
    Brazilian (samba) rhythms are not Cuban rhythms (tho related)
    The tumbao above, while clearly a "Latin" riff, may not work best with other Latin styles.

But if it's just a casual latin-ish jam, it may not matter.

11. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

I really like this short instructional video. It's starts with the simple ROOT/FIFTH played over HALF beats. I kind of like that because it gives a steady groove without interfering with the more complex drum rhythms. (It's also how I sometimes play already, note wise). He goes on to add the THIRD and then the SEVENTH of each chord. Then he throws in some extra beats at the end.

12. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Thanks. I think I can tell what that is. I wonder if that beat was incorporated into pop music starting in the 50's or 60's. It is very common in country, rock, and pop. (Eagles, etc.) But just at a slower tempo?