Simple Walking Lines Jazz Transcriptions

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by rgarcia26, Feb 8, 2013.

1. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

Hi guys I am BG player learning DB... I've working on my music reading every day...empathizing me sight music reading... is there any simple Jazz transcriptions that I can find online to read in my I-pad (PDF files)... something relatively simple that I can read and play alone... I love Jazz but I don't know where to start, it seems a little overwhelming sometimes.

Thanks in advance for your help
  2. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

If you truly love jazz, get a Jazz Double Bass teacher. There certainly must be a plethora of qualified teachers in Miami.

As they say, "Don't try this at home." :cool:
  3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Creator of: iGigBook, iGigBook Mobile, iGigBook Index, iGigBook Pager
    Listen to lines that you like, and figure out what is being played.

Mike Richmond's book "Modern Walking Bass Technique" is a good book to get your hands on.
  4. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

Thanks I got a teacher, I am having my first lesson next Friday...

however I want the transcrips to read and play as one of my dayli reading practice... I want to read and play :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rhythmman535

Rhythmman535 Supporting Member

7. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

Thanks
  8. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Creator of: iGigBook, iGigBook Mobile, iGigBook Index, iGigBook Pager
    Jamey Aebersold has a number of books of bass line transcriptions of Ron Carter, Tyrone Wheeler and others that you can check out as well.
  9. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

Thanks I will check it... :hyper:
  10. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

11. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

Nothing online for donwloads?
  12. powerbass

powerbass

You might want to check out Band In A Box. Once you purchase that program do a internet search for BIAB jazz standards - you will find hundreds of common jazz tunes you can download and play via BIAB. You can also view or print out a transcription of the bass line that BIAB uses for the particular tune. While the bass line is not a real person playing it is pretty good and if you are a beginner you will greatly benefit from this process, as I did when starting my jazz studies and reading music.
  13. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Congrats on securing an instructor.

I'd ask the teacher for some music, books, etc. He may have some, and perhaps will lend you specific music and/or books appropriate to your lessons.

In the mean time, if you look hard enough on the big ol' internet, I know you will find "unauthorized" pdfs of books such as: Ray Brown's Bass Method, Jim Stinnett's Paul Chambers' Transcriptions, Sher/Johnson's Concepts for Bass Soloing. And many others - even Simandl :eek:
  14. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

Nice tip I have never used BIAB
  15. notchuck

notchuck

Got a bow? Get one!
    Also if you want some solid technique, I'm pretty fond of Enjoy the Double Bass by Reinke. (it's not on pdf as far as I know though)

Do you read standard notation?

And look for bass clef real books - I've seen pdfs of them.

And you
  16. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

I do have a bow, but I dont know how to used right....

I do read standar bass clef.. I dont like to read tabs

Google have some free books I just dowloaded some, nothing for jazz just yet
  17. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

It is illegal to play Double Bass while reading tabs.
  18. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    There is some benefit to reading walking lines out of a book, but transcribing your own will improve your ear, time, and sound simultaneously. Start with a simple line in "2"- just the heads. Play along for a few minutes a day. You will gain more from this than an hour of reading someone else's transcription. If you want to work on reading, work out of a method book. Btw, you need Simandl, and any discussion of illegally downloading copyrighted material here is strictly forbidden.
  19. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

There hadn't been, until your post. :eek:
  20. powerbass

powerbass

Learning to play the UB and Jazz can be an overwhelming undertaking - it takes many hours a day and years to gain proficiency with the physical, theoretical and musical components. Starting small and building on the development of attainable skills is important. Beginning with simple transcriptions is a great place to start, it will develop all the skills mentioned. An experienced teacher with classical as well as jazz experience is essential.

21. Etienned

Etienned

If you have an IPad, you should check iRealb. It's similar to BIAB and you can find thousands of charts already written for it on their developer forum for free. You can adjust each instrument volume, tempo, change the key, music style and much more.

I'm starting to learn how to walk too and I really dig app on my itouch.

The app by itself is cheap and you have to buy a few upgrade to have all the music style but it is still cheaper than a BIAB license plus it's portable. Of course the instrument don't sound as good as the real thing but they're close enough for practice.