simulation theory

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Icey101, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Icey101

Icey101

have you heard of this?

Its an interesting theory, something like the matrix, could we be living in a simulation setup by a super computer in the future? Is the super computer using our bodies for energy and therefore providing a simulation for us to live in? Is the never ending universe which we fail to really understand, just part of a program?

Now there are scientist's testing theory

http://www.inquisitr.com/437451/our...mputer-simulation-scientists-test-new-theory/
  2. bassteban

bassteban

My vote for *Conspiracy theory of the year*
  3. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

I think we might be overthinking things. Too, if it really is just a simulation, I'd rather not know.
  4. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

If us humans have one quality ove anything else that can be defined to be the separating element between us and the rest of the fauna (or flora for that matter ;)) is the un-dying need to explain our existence.
    To ourselves as well as for the others.

By our scientific methods, that something that hasn't been found anywhere else in our habitat.
    All other life-forms seem (to us anyway) to trot along merrily without a hint of desire for anything even remotely resembiling that.

On top of all that, we all are made of a few electrically charged particles interacting loosely with each other, occupying a space that's magnitudes larger than the said charged particles themselves. So in essence, we are mostly just empty space.

To me, the simulation theory is just another possible "explanation" to our existence, just as valid or invalid as any other.

My vote would go for the intergalactic penal colony for the misbehaving souls trapped in torture-vessels for the duration of our punishment/rehabilitation though.

Regards
    Sam
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Supporting Member

Media:
    Dude. Step away from the bong.
  7. pflash4001

pflash4001

No way! Pass it this way! That MUST be good stuff in THAT bowl!
  8. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

In this simulated world, the space elevator might actually work.
  9. Simo98

Simo98

Sooner or later the technology we use will be capable of processing such immense amounts of data that we will be able to essentially simulate reality, a reality that would be just as real from the inside as ours is from our own point of view.

In all of time and space, both within our universe and any others that may or may not exist, it stands to reason that somebody else would have done it before now, and we could quite easily be the product of that simulation.

Of course, it's also quite probable that the "reality" that is running the simulation which provides us with our universe is also another simulation, inside another, and so on ad infinitum.
  10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

+1

For now though, I'm going to have to be an informed skeptic.
  11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

There is nothing scientific in this theory.
    It's a philosophical hypothesis, revisited from Descartes's propositions.
    Only philosophists study it, there is nothing to prove or demonstrate.
    I'd like people and newspapers to differenciate between cosmology and superstition.
  12. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

13. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Dreams that seem to last forever last for seconds. There is a mechanism to drastically change our perception of time and reality. Pick your reality (or CPU simulation); can't prove it either way. Hell, none of you can't truly prove to me that you exist.

It's really fun until it gets really tedious. That's when I chose to stop. Or is it choice? Well... blah blah blah...
  14. Dale D Dilly

Dale D Dilly Monster Supporting Member

Statistically speaking, this pretty much has to be true.
  15. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

This is where The Matrix screenplay fell down bigtime. Our bodies consume food and convert it into low level heat that can't easily be recycled. If it were so recycled it would provide less energy than the food had in it.
  16. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Only if you have to take a space elevator to get to the super computer.
  17. Simo98

Simo98

Exactly. We're just really inefficient versions of the same solar panels the robots were running off originally, solar energy is converted, through the food chain, to eventually end up in our bodies and be used to produce electricity and heat. They should have just stuck with solar panels.

Good film regardless, but it always bugged me :D
  18. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

The highlighted bit is just makes the idea seem silly to me. A slightly more interesting take, IMHO, would be to phrase it as if we are actually AI created by a higher being (say a 'real' person/scientist) to simulate a human life given a set of variables.
  19. Icey101

Icey101

i just threw that in as a conversation piece :)
  20. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium

I'm familiar with that argument, and it makes some sense, but here's the problem I have with it: would a simulation of a conscious being actually be conscious? It's not at all clear to me that it would. We're conscious, so to me that argues for a "real" universe.

OTOH, there's an XKCD comic on this subject (of course) which points out that a simulated universe would probably have some features designed to make computation easier. For example, a minimum temperature, a maximum speed, discrete chunks of light and energy ...
  21. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

From HERE

Actually, we're a real life, living "sims" for the Alien overlords of the universe!!!