Simulator for new strings!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by simenandreas, Dec 29, 2012.

1. simenandreas

simenandreas

Is there anything that can simulate the new bass-string feel? A pedal or something else?
    That would be a revolutionary idea for us crispy-liking bass players if it is actually possible! I don`t know whats possible or not, but we are soon the 2013! The technology is just going crazy these days.
    Buying new strings every month is kinda expensive in the length
  2. PilbaraBass

PilbaraBass

I use SS strings and recycle them... I average a new set every 6 months or so and they sound pretty fresh.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Supporting Member

It's called a treble knob ;)
  4. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    What brand of strings are you using? Some last longer than others. I stated using Ken Smith stainless steel strings again and they are nice and bright and last a while.

Some bass players change their strings every day when recording or on tour!
  7. simenandreas

simenandreas

I am using very light strings from Status called Hotwire
  8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Unless you are gigging an awful lot once a month seems excessive you may want to change your stringe gauge or a different brand of string.
  9. millsbass5

millsbass5

Inventors are going to go apeshit crazy to come up with something for this. And, I'd sure as hell buy it, if it would work, of course. It's actually a damn good idea. Hell, I go through 3 sets per month, per bass. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZING!!!!!!!!! That's what I like.

I tear through 19 sets of strings PER MONTH. Yes, I buy in bulk!!!!
  10. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

I can't stress how useful Elixir Strings are. They are coated with a thin layer of plastic (i think) which prevents oxidation and finger juice from wearing the strings.

There is a bit of a compromise in tone. In my experience Elixir strings sound like they are already a week old, but maintain that tone for up to a year in my experience. To me they sound quite similar to Ernie Balls (my other string of choice) that are a few days old. My parents bought me some Elixirs for Christmas. The last time I changed them on my main bass was last Christmas. I practice at least a few hours a day, plus gigs and school. They really are worth it. They run for about $35-50 per pack, but last a really long time. When I changed last christmas's strings, I kept them and put them on a lakland that had dead strings, and it sounds completely fresh even tho they are a year old. Best strings for the player on a budget.
  11. Oreomeister365

Oreomeister365

what I want is elixirs with no coating where you pluck the string.

I play with a pick a lot of the time and thus the strings aren't really going dead there, yet I hear elixirs have a problem with peeling where the pick hits. Having strings that can shrug off the wear of fretting them is what I want. Though I guess I could just get elixirs and deal with the peeling..
  12. maturanesa

maturanesa

13. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

So... play them and the coating will wear off, and you'll have what you want. The peeling coating doesn't affect the sound at all, nor can you feel it as you play. If you think saving a few bucks is better than caring what your bass looks like, then just get the elixirs. I will add that elixirs last forever on fretless basses.
  14. PilbaraBass

PilbaraBass

Hmm... I wonder...