1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Simultaneous Alternate Tunings?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Silver Blues, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

I've been reading a lot lately and have gotten very interested in alternate tunings.

You know me :rolleyes:, I'm always on the look out for new gear... but after a while it would be pointless to have a stable of basses all tuned to the same pitch. I won't buy an ERB because I don't like the feel, I much prefer my fours. In my master bass plan, I have five standard-tuned basses. More are always welcome :D It won't be for now though, I'm nowhere near good enough to expand beyond E standard. (Or like drop D.)

Wow anyway /rant, my actual question is how many different alternate tunings for four-bangers do you think are practical to have going at once? (As in, if one had a bunch of basses perma-tuned to alternates, what could they be?) I have BEAD, ADGC and DGCF so far. Opinions?

--Silvie
  2. fmoore200

fmoore200

Not trying to derail your thread, but I always get into this debate with a guitarist/singer I know. Besides using alternate tunings for a deeper/darker sound, what is the point?

My view is the notes remain the same on the written page, only the proximity of the notes on the instrument changes. A piano, saxophone, trumpet, etc can't alter their tunings but can play the same notes as a bass in drop d (transposed of course).

On topic I believe I did problems like this in math class in high school, but instead of strings and notes the combination was of colored marbles in a jar picked at random..I think it's called permutation..
  3. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

IDK, I mean it opens some interesting options. For one, the BEAD and DGCF make sense because well, you don't get a B on a standard-tuned four, and the DGCF gives you another step's worth of range across the board. You don't get the C on a standard 4 either, although I suppose if you just play >5 on the G you'd get the same thing but then you don't get all the high range.

I was just wondering, might be something cool to try, you know.

--Silvie
  4. fmoore200

fmoore200

It def would be something cool to do :bassist:
  5. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

As many as you'd want. I know that's kind of a cop out answer, but it's true.
  6. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Tune to fifths instead of fourths. CGDA or GDAE to start with. There is piccolo and and tenor tunings which tune UP to ADGC and EADG respectively. DADA and DGDG are practical tunings to experiment with that don't require different string gauges.