1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Since we're talking 12s, give me some food for thought

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jumblemind, Jan 7, 2014.

1. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Preface: I have one very limited experience with 12" cabs. For a fleeting moment I owned a pair of Genz Focus 12s with an Aguilar TH500. I took the amp and one cab to a practice and just hated the tone. Was too thin for my taste. All cabs are built differently with different objectives, and these weren't for me...I get it, no problem. I initially thought 12s wouldn't fit my sound, but then I remembered my favorite tone ever comes from my Ampeg B50r, so I know a 12 is capable of producing tones that I like.

I currently gig a pair of Ampeg 210AVs and a 15e, and they work great in various combinations for my goals along with a MicroVR (or GK MB Fusion for bigger gigs), but I'm thinking of adding to the arsenal to fill a gap. I'm thinking about a 12 again. It would be for "quick" gigs where I need to load in and out quickly; it would have a bit more performance than just a single 210AV but not be as bulky/heavy as most other 210s, and it would have more range than my single 15. It would need to pair well with the MBFusion. Basically, I'd like a single cab that's lightweight with a small footprint that retains the more old school sound and can hold up with two guitars and a drummer doing all sorts of covers on a small stage.

There was a recent LDS 12/6 in the classifieds that seemed like a good fit. The size/weight format was just right, and I like the idea of the 6" driver, especially in light of the "Is one 12 enough for a gig" debate going on, but I have no idea what the tone of those style of full range cabs are like. I've also long contemplated a fEARful 12/6 build, but I'm not sure my lower wattage heads are a good pairing with that kind of cab. I do like the format, though, of a vertically oriented cab that offers a more full range, as most other single 12s are awkwardly shaped and seem like they'd be too thin for my needs (read: DB/SL112, Neo 112 II).

So who runs a rig like this? A smallish amp and cab with a 12" driver with a more "classic" tone? I wouldn't need to run a large room, just have enough for a small room or for stage volume with FOH support and still have that more old school sound behind me. I feel like I might be describing a Baer ML112, but I also feel like that cab is intended to pair with higher end amps.
  2. Russell L

Russell L

It ain't about speaker size alone, but the overall design based on speaker specs and cab specs all mixed up t0gether.

Check out barefacedbass.com to learn more, and then check out their Big Baby 2.
  3. jumblemind

Yep, hence the question about tone of various folks with 12 cabs. I like the format, just don't know how some of 'em sound. I never really considered Barefaced since I'm in the States: quite a premium to get one shipped over here.
  4. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

I own and gig both a fearful 12/6 and a pair of Ampeg SVT210AV cabinets.

A high performance 12 can certainly cover the middle ground, and also cover a very different ground than the sealed Ampegs.

The 12/6 is a very different animal than the pair of Ampegs. Much deeper and smoother sounding. No amount of knob twisting can get the two to sound alike. The 12/6 is just the ticket with a five string. The 12/6 is also a great cabinet for someone who is adept at eq and maybe effects. The baked in tone is that of a full range studio monitor - which in the right hands is amazing. In comparison, the Ampegs are more compressed and are band limited in the bottom which can slot bass in right where it fits in. Both cabinets are excellent - just at different things.

I also have zero trouble getting a classic tone out of the 12/6 - it takes a little high and low cutting. And adding some low mids - the GK heads are voiced well to do that!
  5. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

I started off with 15's - SWR, Ampeg, Sunn.
    I switch to 10's - SWR, Avatar, Bergantino
    After trying some 12's @ GC, I really dig how it was more balanced for me. Could still be thick and projected and smooth.

I picked up an Avatar SB112 and loved it.
    I decided to get a bigger cab to make sure I have enough power.
    I went with GK NEO 412.

I do feel like the Bergantino NV412 would sound really good if it anything close to the NV610.
  6. jumblemind

Awesome, thanks! I may go back to lurking the greenboy forum. Those little 210AVs are like no other, and I wouldn't expect something to be anything like them...I don't have to have that sound in a 12 cab, I just don't dig the hi-fi top end thing and want to avoid cabs that do that primarily.
  7. basswave

basswave Execuse me but your I-IV-V is in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
  8. RS

RS Supporting Member

I am happy with the Aggie Th500 and db112s. Definitely meaty sounding cabs.
  9. jumblemind

10. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

I have the TH500 and also a GK 700 RBII. I've also owned several single 12s - Epifani DIST UL112, Aguilar GS112, Bergantino AE112, fEARful 12 sub, Baer ML112, GK Neo 112, Glasstone Lil G.

They all have a very different baked in sound to them, all of them "worked" in terms of giving me the volume I needed to hear myself but none of them gave me the heft I wanted to hear in my tone.

I'm coming to think that I need a pair of 12s or a 210 cab to push the air I want to get the thickness and presence of sound I'm looking for. I recently picked up a DNA 210 to test my theory.
  11. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    ??????
  12. jumblemind

Prob a typo/brain fart?
  13. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

I think he has a fEARful 12sub.

To be perfectly fair, the 12sub isnt supposed to be a stand alone cab. With out a 12/6 with a 18sound mid driver on top I can see how it was disappointing.
  14. SpinyNorman

SpinyNorman Supporting Member

I've owned the GB Focus, Hartke HyDrive,GK Neo, Aguilar DB, and the Bergantino HD. The Focus was the least favorite of the bunch, followed by the HyDrive. They weren't bad, but just not up to the sound quality of the other three.

Given that you don't like the deep form factor of the DB112, I'd recommend that you look at the Bergantino, or possibly a Baer ML.

I think we're in the golden age of 112's. There's gotta be a cab that will suit your needs.
  15. fokof

fokof Gold Supporting Member

I use a 12" active and a 8" active , gives me 1800 watts , weight 95 pounds. Enough to compete with two loud guitars and small enough to be one trip to the car.

The sad part is that it's expensive , but eh , you got what you pay for !
  16. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

:confused:

You are correct. Not sure how that happened since I tried to make sure not to do that. LOL

Re: the fEARful 12sub. Correct that it's not intended to be used as a standalone. I used it for home practice as such but in a band situation I used it beneath the Epifani.
  17. DrDAV14

DrDAV14 Supporting Member

I've been using 2 F112's with a MB Fusion 500. I went back and forth between those and a Fearless Dually and I felt the F112's did everything the Dually could do and much more if I so desired, which makes me happy with the versatility. Added bonus is the portability(23lbs each) and the ability to use them in the floor wedge form.
  18. NWB

NWB

Yeah, when I asked a similar question, the F112 was recommended for a more classic tone than the 112/6 fEARFUL. It sounds like it would be a very spiffy 112 to have.