1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Singe strings in the UK?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by CauliColin, Dec 27, 2013.

1. CauliColin

CauliColin

I recently broke the E string on my fretless (it was a d'addario nylon tapewound one), so have had to use roundwounds for a week or so. I've noticed that the board wear has doubled in the past week so I am anxious to get some smooth strings on. The only problem is, finding an E string tapewound is easier said than done. If I were to go onto bassstringsonline.com, it would cost me more than the string to ship it over here. I don't want to spend £30-£40 on a whole new set, and only want the E string. Any ideas, Talkbass?

Edit: I mean single strings, not burned ones, my bad.
  2. knumbskull

knumbskull

3. CauliColin

CauliColin

4. knumbskull

knumbskull

ah right :/

you can get full packs of D'Ad TWs slightly cheaper on ebay but that's about it i think... hmm.
  5. CauliColin

CauliColin

Alright, thanks for the help :D I appreciate it!
  6. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

They do have Rotosound black nylon tapewound (Tru Bass 88) singles, if you already know and like them, or feel like experimenting:
    .100 and .115 (might have to file the nut wider/replace it with one worth sacrificing in the name of nylon).
    schneidermusik.de has the Galli tapes available as singles, same gauges (1 - 2), but IIRC has a flat shipping rate so you may want to browse for something else and make a more substantial order to make it worth buying from them.
    (Have bought from both online stores, would recommend both, otherwise not affiliated.)
    No other options that I'm aware of (yet).

EDIT:
    the Rotos and the Gallis might sound a little woodier and darker than the D'Ads according to user descriptions and manufacturer blurbs.
    If you do try either one, and a mixandmatched single tape proves mismatched soundwise, and you find out you care more about sound than feel, you might wanna try a ground- or pressurewound single, maybe with a small mute (foam, cloth or paper) under the E only, to tame its upper end.
    You could also consider trying a Fender set. Check out Ric5's recording of his Rickenbacker 4004 cii with the tapes it came with here. User Root 5 believed they were Fenders (see post 10 of that thread): if that's correct, judging from the soundclips I would put them firmly in "dead round" camp soundwise: probably too bright for some. (There might be more clips of Fender tapes here with no doubts as to their attribution: use the search, Luke!) They definitely don't break the bank at 15.36 quid.