1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Singing and playing bass help?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by devntran, Feb 13, 2014.

1. devntran

devntran

Im going to frontman a band pretty soon and i need some tips on singing and playing bass simultaneously. I've practiced this a lot before but its still challenging. Bass-ically i can only really do simple eigth note basslines but i cant nail anything beyond that. Help pls :help::help::help::help::help:
  2. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    The only thing I can recommend is practice both separately until you don't have to think about what you are singing or playing. When both are to a point where you can play the song without thinking about it and you know the lyrics without having to remember the words, you'll be fine. It takes a long time.

Good luck.
  3. M0ses

M0ses

Figure it out literally note by note, not in time, then start slow and it won't take too long to speed it up.
  4. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Agreed, practice is the key. When I can get the vocal and bass parts to the point where I don't have to think about them individually, I'm able to split my attention between them when performing them together.

The other thing I'll do sometimes with a really difficult song is muck with the vocal rhythm a little bit to make it easier to get both parts out properly. In other words, usually the bass has to lock up with the drums or other instruments, and the vocal has more flexibility--so if I need something to change in order to nail both parts together, I'll stylize the vocals a bit so I can get the overall song out.

Tom
  5. devntran

devntran

thanks!. that makes a lot of sense and has helped before on songs i really knew so ill keep at it
  6. ghostfather

ghostfather

I find that having to sing as I play forces me to simplify my bass lines. NOT a bad thing!