Singing the praises of my modified Avatar SB112 with midrange driver

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by daveman50, Oct 21, 2012.

1. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

I posted about this recently - yanking the tweeter from an older Avatar 1x12 cabinet with a Delta 12LF driver, and installing an Eminence LA6-CBMR 6-1/2" sealed back midrange speaker and an Eminence PXB:1K6 high pass board.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/need-help-wiring-replacement-high-pass-filter-avatar-cabinet-mod-924361/index2.html
    This is an idea that's been kicking around TB for years. It was an easy mod (once I got good advice here on wiring up the board).

I've been gigging and rehearsing with this baby, and it's a champ. My amplifiers' tone controls work in a way that's new to me - real tone-shaping in the upper midrange. It's very flexible in bringing out good tones with different basses. (It does what I always expected a tweeter to do but they never did.) It weighs 50 lbs. I am just digging the tone options. If you can find one of these older (non-neo) Avatar cabs for a good price, go for it and do the mod.

Attached Files:

2. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

Nice! I have one of those babies I rarely use for the very reasons you mentioned pre mod. Thanks for the info. When I get time (who knows when that will be) I'll have to give that a try.

3. shoot-r

shoot-r

Oh Dave of Avatar, This is a GREAT idea for those of us that don't want to transport a TB153!!!

Maybe offer this mod as a option to the standard Foster horn.

I'd like to try this mod with one of my Avatar Neo 210 cabinets just to see what it might do...

4. Gradyoactive

Gradyoactive

How many ohms is your SB112?

I have a 4 ohm Delta cab that I want to try this mod on. The Eminence LA6-CBMR 6-1/2" has a 8 ohm impedance. What would the resulting impedance of the modified cab be? My amp head can handle down to 2 ohms, but I want to add another identical SB112 cab that I also want to mod. Are the two speakers connected in series or parallel?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2

You can add the same high pass filter the OP used .
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=290-600

Your impedance will stay close enough to the same . A two-way crossover would be a different story but with the high pass it will work . You can bypass the attenuator too like the OP did with his cab and it should sound OK .

Here is a mod I did to a couple of my SB112s . I put waveguides in them and a Econowave crossover . We use these at practice for our vocals and they work awesome .

[​IMG]

7. mixamatchi

mixamatchi

Just did a similar mod to a SWR cab. It's a great idea. The tweets are just not implemented well. Mine was hi-passed @ 5khz. The 15 was full range. End result was a big hole in the mids. Got a 2way crossover, and a 5" mid driver, and the cab sounds so much better.

8. Gradyoactive

Gradyoactive

I'm worried that the 150 watt midrange driver will get blown when I turn up the volume on the 500 watt SB112 cab. I want to be able to crank my amp to 250 watts at least. Should I just return these 150 watt speakers and look for more powerful replacements?

9. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What crossover frequency and what order filter will you be using?

10. Gradyoactive

Gradyoactive

I was going to use the same setup as the OP: Eminence LA6-CBMR 6-1/2" sealed back midrange speaker and an Eminence PXB:1K6 high pass crossover board, so 1600 Hz. I'm not sure what the order of the filter is.

11. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    18dB/octave = 3rd order. There's not much inherent energy in typical bass signal that high to begin with, and then that fairly steep filter removes a ton more. A genuine 150 watt rating should be plenty.

All of the common higher power replacement candidates I know of are open-backed (and only marginally rated higher), you would need a sub-chamber with them. I've never heard the sealed one, but a lot of people diss them pretty hard, and many others seem to like them just fine. ;)

12. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    I just asked Dave and he said "Nada" it's an owner mod..... that I'm willing to take on..:cool:

$668.00 2 SB112 s shipped $170.00 for 2 Eminence LA6-CBMR 6-1/2" Sealed Back Mids & 2 Eminence PXB:1K6 High Pass Crossover Boards
    Total: $838.00 or $419.00 each... That's do-able

13. Gradyoactive

Gradyoactive

My new amp puts out 600 Watts. I don't plan on cranking it too close to the max, but I am kind of worried that if it somehow ends up clipping, it will blow my Eminence LA6-CBMR 6-1/2" speaker, if I bypass the attenuator like the OP did. Should I just buy a better attenuator, or will I be fine without one?

14. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

I'm thinking about replacing the tweeter on my 210 combo with a 3" speaker. Could I use the original crossover and just connect the tweeter wires to the 3"?

15. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Would this particular modification likely work just as well if one were to get the Avatar SB112 with the (unspecified) Neo woofer rather than the Delta LF ceramic woofer? Since we're talking about a simple high-pass filter, rather than a genuine two-way crossover?

Would one need to change the high-pass frequency point in order to suit the (presumably) different high-midrange breakup point of the Neo vs. ceramic woofer?

Any educated guesses? :meh:

MM

16. Mystic Michael

Bump for an answer to my question of three months ago. (Note that I didn't impatiently bump the thread within the first hour, with a demanding "So? Anyone?" :rolleyes: :smug:)

MM

17. bobcruz

bobcruz

That could work (make sure to wire the new speaker the same way as the original tweeter, that is, polarity is reversed from the woofer due to the crossover's phase shifting of the signal). The problem is likely to be the low efficiency of most 3" speakers, down in the 87-91 dB range, compared to the woofer.

18. Mystic Michael

According to Dave, the Neo alternative woofer is a proprietary version of the Eminence Deltalite II 2512 woofer, featuring extended Xmax for deeper, more powerful lows.

I'm going to take a wild guess that there would be no functional difference between performing the aforementioned modification on an SB112 with the Deltalite woofer relative to an SB112 with the standard Delta 12LF.

MM

19. ddezz

ddezz

Disclosures:
    Nobody give me anything!
    Very interesting to see this thread. I contacted Avatar a month and a half ago about having a 3012 LF Eminence Neo with the 6" and tweeter. I wanted a very small hi power cab. I ended up getting a GreenBoy Fearless. I have owned 6 Avatar bass cabs and had good results. Avatar is now putting several type of speakers in their cabs and you can't tell a Neo from a ceramic to an el cheapo. There should be some sort of a label or insignia on the cabs as the cabs are all identical on the outside. My thoughts.

20. hobbes1

hobbes1

FWIW, if you take the woofer out and look on the back, there should be a code on there that will help identify what you've got. I did that and emailed it and a picture to DAve at Avatar and got confirmation of the speaker I had in mine (I bought it used). HTH!

21. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member