Singing through a bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by southpaw723, Jan 8, 2014.

1. southpaw723

southpaw723

I have a 25 watt Ampeg Ba108 and my friend who I jam with sometimes wants to sing and be heard. It's not a big enough deal to go and get a PA, but with a mic that has the same cable end as a guitar cord, if I plug it in will it work? How will it sound? Would this be bad for the amp?

2. ZachariahLee

ZachariahLee

I've heard a lot of people say a bass amp is just a portable PA. I'm sure there are differences, LOL. Start at a low volume. I doubt much can go wrong.:bag:

3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Won't be bad for the amp, it doesn't care. How loud it will go or how it will sound is the only question to find out. Just make sure you get a "Hi-Z" mic.

4. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

I sang through a Rumble 60 while also playing my bass through it for several band practice sessions. The mic went through its own preamp (it was wireless), which made matching levels a cinch. It sounded just fine, and was definitely not hard on the amp.

I doubt plugging a passive mike directly into the bass amp input will work well, but it doesn't hurt to try it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. trevcda

trevcda

Media:
    Albums:
    It'll make noise, but I wouldn't expect much from it. Small bass amps like this are voiced to make the most out of what they have, specifically for bass guitars. Articulation and intelligibility from voice/dialogue is the furthest thing from a designers mind. Have said that, it shouldn't hurt the amp, but may damage the speaker if you're screaming bloody murder into it trying to get it over the drums.

7. bccbass

bccbass

It sounds "muddy" with a Hartke and 15" speaker. I'm sure it would be worse through a 8" speaker like the BA108 uses!

8. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Have at it...won't hurt the amp none.

May not sound the greateet but it will damn sure sound. If anything, it'll make you a better singer and teach you to bring out the timbre in your voice. Your voice is an instrument just like any other. If you're good at it, you'll sound good through anything...just like a bass. If you're not, no amount of gear can make up for that....just like a bass. ;)

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You won't get any high end past 5k out of it, so forget about S's and T's, but it will work.

10. grey area

grey area

i will soon be in the same situation for small rehearsals. i'm gonna get a small 4 way mixer(behringer!!!!!!!)and run it into my old trace elliot gp 11 ah150 and a couple of old monitor speakers. i'm guessing it wont sound fab but should be ok for quiet rehearsal.
    EDIT. i just found a 10 way from allen and heath for a good price so i will forget the behringer.

11. Johntheson

Johntheson

Back in the garage band days of the sixties; many start up bands sang through amps. Many amps actually had a Mic jack on them. Obviously the sound quality was not to be compared to a mixer and PA.

12. swamp_bass

The 10" speaker of the Rumble 60 actually sounded much better than expected on vocals. I'm a tenor, and everyone was able to clearly hear me through the mix with a loud drummer and two guitarists.

Fidelity? No worse than a typical in-ceiling PA system commonly used in hotel conference rooms. Which really aint that bad for rehearsals.

13. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Luckily, I'm a natural bass singer as well as bass player, so I don't sound too bad through bass amps. :)

I do keep my range up at 3 octaves to be able to usefully contribute to more popular music. Can hit harmonies in most stuff, but still sound more natural singing lead in more baritone/low tenor oriented stuff. Johnny Cash/Don Williams/Jim Morrison comes out pretty good. Robert Plant/John Fogarty/Ricky Skaggs......not so much. :)

14. swamp_bass

Hah; funny enough, I was told in my last band practice that I sang Robert Plant the best. Brian Setzer is another one right in my vocal range.

I don't think anyone else can sing Ricky Skaggs except Ricky Skaggs.

15. Russell L

Russell L

You can buy a lowZ adapter with a three-prong end on one end to plug the mic cord into and a 1/4" male end on the other to go into the amp, if your mic is lowZ. It'll give you more volume. I've done it many times.

16. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Go for it. Might not sound too great but the amp will handle it fine. Or it won't, and it'll blow up, and you'll have a funny story to tell your kids.

So, win-win.

17. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

You have RCA inputs on that amp. I already have an m-audio fast track with RCA outputs and you can power them with the same usb power adapter that a phone uses, so you can go into that and then out to the RCA inputs. Your amp even has an independent volume for the RCA input, mine doesn't. So you have a good setup to get there and just need some sort of preamp to go from mic level to line level.