1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

single 12" or two 10's

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lowendblues, Oct 11, 2013.

1. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

GK MB200, small room, maybe 300 people max (think sports bar), classic rock/country. Which would be best, a good single 12" cab or a good 210? I'm thinking Avatar or GK NEO.

Or am I just dreaming? and should be considering an MB500 and a 410 or 212?

2. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Depends, are you running through the PA system as well or will you need to carry the bar with just your amp? If no to the PA I would want more juice/bigger cab. If this is just for stage volume than I prefer 1x12 with another 12 added for louder gigs. It also will depend on drummer/band stage volume. That amp is only around 140watts at 8ohm so be realistic of it's capabilities.

3. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

If you're going with 1 cab, get a 4 ohm so the MB200 can put out its full 200 watts. I like 210s, but your mileage may vary.

4. old-fashioned

old-fashioned

Without PA no way :(
    With PA, still arguable/depends ext...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lowendblues

Really on the edge isn't it? I would have good PA support though. I've just always had a big rig behind me,, I'm just trying to wrap my brain around a mini rig.

7. Linnin

Linnin

I like the sound of Eminence's Neo 12's very much, and have never been a fan of 10's.

8. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

2-300 folk, I may use a MB200, but more than likely a 400RB .. and in either case, two 210's vertical ... if I need more, I may add a third 210 and use an 800RB (shoots the line array theory though)... about the only time I would use a single 210 is at rehearsal, or VERY small sit down coffee house type deal ... vert 210's take up no more stage room than a single and much easier to hear getting them up in the air ... JMHO

9. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

.. the difference between 140 watts and 200 watts into a single cab is hardly going to be noticable ... and you have shot your ability to expand unless you have a 2 ohm capable head (or wire externally in series, but then you are back to 8 ohms or more) ... if you add a second cab to achieve that 4 ohm load, the extra wattage should make a significant difference .. JMHO

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Two of one speaker always sounds better than one of one speaker. Now there are exceptions, like a really bad 210 won't sound as good as a really good 112, but all things being equal, speaker coupling always results in a smoother sound and an extra pronounced warmth on the lows.

11. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

2x10 have more cone area, and you can place the cab vertically so the speaker will be closer to your ears.

12. sratas

sratas

sorry...nope.

Doubling the wattage will bring only a + 3 db, with a well perceivable increase in SPL capability, but doubling speakers (cabs) will bring a much more concrete + 6 db.

Put in other words, adding speakers will increase sensitivity and SPL very clearly.
    Keep in mind that at the minimum impedance most amps sound louder when at medium volumes, but once maxed out they could sweat because they may become current limited, but I don't know this for sure related to the GK.
    More, putting high wattage into few speakers could make it easier to reach their excursion limits, especially if you EQ heavily with bass, and could heat up the voice coil too much causing impedance increase so your amp will become less powerful as the night goes on...

many things I have learned somewhere on technical sites, that make a lot of practical sense to me.
    the juice is: do you need big loudness, bottom and ability to fill the room with your current amp? just add cabs, preferably of the same type to avoid comb effects, stack them vertically (vertically alligned speakers) to increase dispersion, and you are ready to rock

13. macmanlou

I agree with all that. Multiple cabs bring out the max volume available from the MB200, I use two 8ohm cabs with mine sometimes and it works great.

But the OP limited the choice to only one cab:
    I suggested a 4ohm 210 as an efficient choice in a single cab venue. If possible, he ought to A/B test it against a good 8ohm 210 with the MB200 before purchase, since the 8ohm cab gives him the ability to use multiple cabs in other venues.

14. lowendblues

"But the OP limited the choice to only one cab"

Not necessarily. I guess what I'm trying to do is put together the optimum cab or cabs with the GK MB200 for use in a sportsbar type arena. I really, really like the MB200.

15. macmanlou

OK, that offers many more possibilities (and more volume) for sure. A lot of folks like a combination of 115 and 210s. I'm partial to 210s, so I'd probably opt for 2 vertically-oriented 210 cabs stacked (like the Genz Benz Contour 210 extension cabs). That could work very well in the venue you've described.

I really like the MB200 as well. I use a VT Bass pedal with it and am very happy with the combination.

16. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

300 punters is a mighty big sports bar ime. I have an mb200 and wouldn't rate it it to cover that many with any cab.

What you need is a good PA. Put your 2x10 up on a 2ft stand for monitor, fired across the stage, mic that up with an AKG P2 and you're good for any gig until you get into proper heavy genres where stage volume gets to overpowering the PA in that size venue.

17. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Why would the stage volume overpower the PA? If everyone does it right, the stage volume shouldn't be very high, at all. Then, the monitors fill it in and balance everything for the musicians. Obviously, the stage volume needs to prevent hearing reverberation from the FOH sound but as long as the drummer isn't a real pounder with huge drums and heavy sticks, the on-stage SPL doesn't need to be excessive.

18. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Lowend, if you get a chance, take a look at the Ampeg 210AV micro cabs ... you can get a couple of them used for the price of most 210/112's new, and although not neo's, they are 25+ pounds a piece and you have a vertical 410 that takes up about 1 sq ft of stage .. single trip in and out, one in each hand, head in bass bag on your back ... and they seem to work very well with the MB200 ...

19. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

I have a MB200. First tried it with a Hartke 210XL. It would fart out pretty easily. Ended up getting a 4 ohm Eden EX112. I got 4 ohm because if I need more speaker than that I would just use another rig. The Eden sounds great, but I tried using that setup (with PA support) at a blues gig and it just wasn't enough for me to hear on stage. I had it on the floor but angled up with an Ampwedge. Drummer in that band is kinda loud though.

I played a few gigs with the MB200 and a 8 ohm Genz Benz Focus 115 - now that was a different story. Plenty of volume. Bottom line - I agree more speaker is the answer - probably more than a single 112 or 210.

20. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

It shouldn't, but in 300 capacity bars it frequently does, since heavy genre dudes frequently haven't a clue about good sound.

21. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

With good PA support, no problem.

The MB200 could cover that, ime, with good quality cabs equaling a 410 or 212. I wouldn't try it with one 112 or one 210.

A stack of two really good 112s or 210s could cut it.

It also depends a lot on the drummer. :)