Single adapters vs one spot or bricks

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jake bassist, Mar 17, 2014.

1. jake bassist

jake bassist

Hi,
    I just have bought 4 pedals for bass and looking / reading about power supply vs one spot adapters etc. All I 've read so far is between those 2 options.
    So my question is aimed at those who do not use huge pedal boards but like in my case 3-5 pedals.
    Why is nobody saying/recommending anything in a way of 3-5 single adapters ?
    My whole point/idea is .......shouldn't 4 individual power adapters (by same brand as pedal or some cheaper compatible brand) pluged in one extention cord with 4 outlets actually do the perfect job !!?!
    Isn't it so that in that case I have 4 isolated and separately grounded power sources for each of my pedals. Yes it is bigger than one spot but ......not bigger than average brick but same effectiveness and 5 x cheaper than brick ! Actually comes down around the same price as 1 spot/Godlyke kit with daisychan cable but no hum related problems. In my case, Jim Dunlop ECB-003 adapter or compatible by HQRP AC Adapter(3 ounces) are between $ 6-8...... plus couple $ extention cord........
    Does this makes sense ?
  2. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

Your theory well definitely work, but its not the most convenient for a gigging musician
  3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It's just more things to carry and hook up, more cables and not as tidy looking. But sure, it will work.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Supporting Member

I absolutely HATE wall warts supplies on stage. Maybe the greatest abominations of all time.

For only four pedals, I'd go with batteries.

I'm probably in the minority here!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

It will work just fine.

But it will look very amateurish and will cost about twice as much as a One Spot if you need 5 of them.
  7. levis76

levis76

8. jake bassist

jake bassist

Hi,

actualy it is exactly $35 for 4 adapters and 4 plug extention cord. Almost the same as 1 spot/godlyke kit.
    The thing my pedals are in hardshell case so i do not even have to touch adapters and conections at any point. Open the case and extension cord plug in outlet...that's it. Size of 4 adapters pluged in the case.....6x3" (15x7.5cm). I do not intend to go up with pedals. Maybe.....just maybeeee ....if ever will be one pitch shift. In my opinion those 4 are already too much but I may need them sometimes.
    May I ask you very concrete question? Pedals I bought are all MXR (M82 envelope filte, M87 compressor,M83 chorus deluxe and M288 Octave).
    I am not dismissing one spot solution but my gigs are mostly big stages with a lot of light, big PA's etc. Can one spot really work with those 4 pedals without making noise/hiss in that conditions? And would the 4 single adapters in that case be safer solution?
    Thanks
  9. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

Ease of set up, other points above. My Gator board with the G-BUS-8-US power supply holds 8 pedals comfortably, more if I must, often less. I open it up, put it on stage, plug one wart into an extension cord, and I'm done. Other benefits:
    Reduced wear and tear on cords.
    Less to troubleshoot, and less often than when I had multiple warts on a strip.
    Smaller footprint (PS is under the board).
    Easy--EASY--to add one more pedal when the GAS hits and I must have that next one. I don't have to calculate power adaption...
    On the other hand, maybe I'd buy fewer pedals I don't really need if I was out of space on my strip... :meh:
  10. FretNoMore

Media:
    Albums:
    Many TBers run 10-15, some even more pedals, on a 1Spot with no problems.
  11. jake bassist

jake bassist

Thanks . I think something like this will do just fine. Do not plan of even taking it ot of case........just cord in the outlet.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/UL-Approved-Heavy-Duty-Extension-Cord_485786910.html
  12. Boom762

Boom762 Hartke Whore - I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

I wont ever buy a 9 spot again. I used on a rocktron metal planet and a blackcat moan wah and they both blew on it. I dont trust them.
  13. jake bassist

jake bassist

So,
    4 single adapters should have exactly the same function as brick power supply ....right ?
  14. FretNoMore

Media:
    Albums:
    That would depend on which adapters and bricks you compare ... the low cost adapters you seem to look at probably don't output much current for instance, so if you have more power hungry pedals the adapters may not work as well as a brick (or even a 1Spot). But as long as the power output is sufficient for each single pedal you should be fine.
  15. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    No. Read up on "isolated" vs "daisy chain" or non-isolated supplies. Using 4 separate wall warts is like using 4 isolated outlets of a brick supply that has that feature. Not all do.
  16. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
  17. jake bassist

jake bassist

Hi,
    Well MXR's own is Jim Dunlop ECB003 adapter with 200mA current. Price on amazon $8-9. And other one is MXR compatible by HQRP also at 200mA, $6. Not really a big $ difference.

Pedals have current draws:
    M82 – 6mA
    M83 – 30mA
    M87 – 18mA
    M288 – 14mA

Total = 68mA

Wouldn't 200mA, separate and isolated ( even if the ratings are wrong) for each pedal be enough, and better than daisychaining?

Thanks
  18. Rob22315

Rob22315

Yes, you can do it that way and it will be inexpensive. I've gotten some nice 9v supplies for $4 or so on sale (Danelectro, the older style). However, I went with a T-Rex Jr. on my pedal board because I can hide it underneath and it's a much smaller package than 5 wall warts on a power strip.

The problem with one wall wart and a breakout cable is that sometimes the pedals use different ground schemes and don't play nicely together. I had some behringer pedals, a russian pedal, and an old japanese pedal that didn't like to be on the same power link.
  19. FretNoMore

Media:
    Albums:
    Better is subjective ... in terms of isolation, yes (though I don't think your pedals will have any problem with daisy chaining), in terms of convenience it would be a no for me, in terms of total power (not that this a concern in your case) also a no.

I think this is mainly a question of price over convenience/tidyness, and that is up to you how you rate those things.

With your pedals I'd use just the one MXR adapter and a daisy chain, if a 1Spot isn't on the cards.
  20. jake bassist

jake bassist

Thanks Rob
    Well, in my case they are all MXR and all for bass and all new models......so I am SAFE .....right
  21. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

Batteries for a gigging bass player? Expensive and annoying. Change or check before every gig? Yikes. One battery dies at a show and you are done. And 4 or 5 wall warts + power strip is going to be heavy and cumbersome. I've been using the same Gator G-BUS-8 power supply for years and never had a problem. Secure all your wires and you are good to go.