1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Single budget drum overhead

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by NickfromSOS, Oct 23, 2013.

1. NickfromSOS

NickfromSOS

I have an AKg D112 on the kick, audix i5 on the snare, audix D2s on the rack toms and a D4 for the floor tom. I want to add a single overhead to fill out the sound. What single mic would you use overhead? Trying to stay under $100, used is fine. I was looking at the Audix F15, Shure. PG81. Any other suggestions?

2. UPeopleJam

UPeopleJam

Sorry I can't help because I would love to know the answer to this as well.... :)
    I didn't realize the PG81's were that inexpensive. I may have to look into them.

3. tekhedd

tekhedd Supporting Member

Pawn shops can be helpful here, although if you want a pair this doesn't work so well. Don't overlook the large diaphragms. My friend has a (pawn shop $60) sterling large diaphragm that is great as an overhead.

:)

4. BrentD

BrentD Supporting Member

A used NT1-A can be had for under $100. I would also look for an AT2021 (by itself, not in a pack), or even an SM57.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Shure SM57's can be used in any number of stage / recordings applications.
    Pretty much an industry standard, and they're inexpensive and virtually indestructible. Find a used one at pretty much any pawn shop

7. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Sure (Shure? ;)), the SM57 is versatile, sounds good, cheap, and sturdy. :)

[​IMG]

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

8. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

I like the rode nt5 sdc. sounds great, very flexible, has a roll off switch, etc etc. super cheap for what you get. I got a pair for $150 on craigslist a few months ago, and I'm getting some good drum sounds from them!

9. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

That photo shows the ultimate configuration for tone-shaping a snare drum. Must require one heck of an A-to-D interface. And one heck of a drummer who can whack the head cleanly in the middle of that mic ring!

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

An sm57 ? As an overhead ? All you'll hear are cymbals. Nothing from the top of the kit. The sm57 has a close up pickup pattern and no low end to speak of... One of the reasons folks put them on guitar cabs... That an the fact that they are cheap. I've replaced all but one of my 57's with Audix i5's as they are near to indestructible...

For me a decent MDC something in the AKG C1000 or Rode nt-3 are way better choices. With one of those, you might find yourself using fewer mic's on the kit... You can find used MDC's that would fill the bill for you though you might have to spend up a little over your budget. I don't pay much attention in the Chinese or Russian mic world, perhaps Oktava or MXL or Studio Projects have an MDC that would get you by ?